Hi everyone,

I have noticed a small oil leak on my TR5 at the rear of the engine. I suspect that it is the rear crankshaft seal. The Haynes Manual mentions that early cars had a scroll type oil seal and that later cars used a lip type seal.  I understand that the scroll type leak. My car was built in January 1968. Does anyone know when the scroll type seal was phased out? Strangely, the Moss catalogue makes no reference to the scroll type seal.

Thanks,

Denis

As far as I know only the 4 cylinder cars have a scroll crankshaft seal.  I'd take the Moss catalogue over Haynes especially as the diagrams are taken from the original Triumph manuals.

You sure it is not the back of the gasket on the rocker cover leaking?

TR5 would have only ever been fitted with a lip type seal   No scroll seal ever usd as far as I have experienced  

Peter W

37 minutes ago, DenisMc said:

Hi everyone,

I have noticed a small oil leak on my TR5 at the rear of the engine. I suspect that it is the rear crankshaft seal. The Haynes Manual mentions that early cars had a scroll type oil seal and that later cars used a lip type seal.  I understand that the scroll type leak. My car was built in January 1968. Does anyone know when the scroll type seal was phased out? Strangely, the Moss catalogue makes no reference to the scroll type seal.

Thanks,

Denis

Dennis all 6 cylinder engines have the rubber lip seal the scroll seal was a 4 cylinder 'feature' but are you sure its  the rear seal and not oil from further up the engine simply finding its way to the lowest point 

Edited by Graham

Thank you all for your very prompt responses! The Haynes manual must be incorrect. Peter and Graham, I don't think that the rocker cover gasket is leaking. The car is fitted with a cast aluminium alloy rocker cover. After a recent run out I did notice a small amount of oil in the "ribbing" on the top and it was heading down the rear of the rocker cover. I think it was coming from the three fixing points. I pulled the dome nuts down slightly so shall see if this has fixed the leak. There are copper washers between the nuts and the cover so perhaps not a great seal.

Denis

Edited by DenisMc
51 minutes ago, DenisMc said:

I did notice a small amount of oil in the "ribbing" on the top and it was heading down the rear of the rocker cover. I think it was coming from the three fixing points. I pulled the dome nuts down slightly so shall see if this has fixed the leak. There are copper washers between the nuts and the cover so perhaps not a great seal.

Denis, yes, mine did this. It didn't even have copper washers, which I don't think would help anyway - not enough pressure. I think the rocker cover would collapse first surely? I got some Dowty seals which do the job.

Cheers, Richard

1 hour ago, DenisMc said:

Thank you all for your very prompt responses! The Haynes manual must be incorrect. Peter and Graham, I don't think that the rocker cover gasket is leaking. The car is fitted with a cast aluminium alloy rocker cover. After a recent run out I did notice a small amount of oil in the "ribbing" on the top and it was heading down the rear of the rocker cover. I think it was coming from the three fixing points. I pulled the dome nuts down slightly so shall see if this has fixed the leak. There are copper washers between the nuts and the cover so perhaps not a great seal.

Denis

Dennis be aware that the dome nuts can 'bottom' or should that be 'top' out ie they bind on the end of the rocker cover retaining studs before pulling down fully tight, I would do a good clean up get all the oil off, the go for a short drive and then check again 

I see that Moss show a plain and a fibre washer with the standard steel cover. Perhaps these might be more successful at creating a seal. Dowty washers are a good suggestion Richard. Thanks you are all again for your helpful suggestions.

Denis

Standard Triumph have always fitted plain and fibre washers on the rocker cover fixing studs/bolts on the six cylinder and small four cylinder engines right from the Vanguard 6 through to the last of Dolomite/Spitfires. The picture shows Vitesse 2 Litre Mk2.

Dave

100_3011 - Copy.JPG