The inside of the tank does not look good. There is a line about 1/2 way up which is where I usually keep the petrol level. Above the line it looks a bit rough but nothingĀ  much will scrape off with the long handled screwdriver. Maybe this is an opportunity to seal the tank again.

Any advice

Richard & B

People do get their knickers in a twist about welding fuel tanks.

The key thing is to flush it out well and repeatedly to get rid of all the fuel. Whilst cuttin gor welding I would be tempted to blow CO2 into it to esure their is no oxygen to permit explosion, however if you can't smell fuel there are unlikely to be enough vapour to ignite.

Whether it's worth welding up a rusty tank when new are available is a probable no given that other parts are likely to be rusty and cause trouble in the future.

My tank has very little rust but while it is out of the car I am taking the opportunity to seal with the Slosh sealer. This involves a chemical clean with some abrasive content. What would be good to use in the tank to act as an abrasive. I am considering small gravel as in the driveway. But I am worried about having small parts stuck around the baffles and causing me trouble at a later date. There is a suggestion to use nuts and bolts but I can not see how this would be successful even with the 10 minutes shaking as recommended, It needs to be sharp and easy to remove from the tank. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

DHL are delivering today so I will be on itĀ tomorrow.

Thanks Richard & B

Large gravel? Pebbles?

Table 5.5. The Wentworth scale is a scale for classifying and describing
sediments by grain size.
Category Type Grain diameter (mm)
Boulder Boulders 250ā€“100
Cobbles 65ā€“250
Gravel Pebbles 4ā€“65
Granules 2ā€“4
Very coarse sand 1ā€“2
Coarse sand 0.5ā€“1
Medium sand 0.25ā€“0.5
Fine sand 0.125ā€“0.25
Sand
Very fine sand 0.0625ā€“0.125
Coarse silt 0.031ā€“0.625
Medium silt 0.0156ā€“0.031
Fine silt 0.0078ā€“0.0156
Very fine silt 0.0039ā€“0.0078
Clay <0.0039
Mud
Dust <0.0005
Table adapted from the Wentworth scale, Wentworth, C.K. (1922). A scale of grade and class
terms for clastic sediments. The Journal of Geology, Vol 30(5):377-392.
http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.2307/30063207

Today I used the cleaner supplied in the kit with the tank sealer. The supplier assured me that 500ml was enough to treatĀ the whole TR3 tank. I used gravel and tipped it back and forth for aboutĀ 10 mins. After which there was only a small amount left when draining the tank. It was dark brown ! This made me feel that the cleaner was a good idea. The next part was to flush out with water. This took a longĀ time until the water ran clear. The worst part was getting the gravel out. The last small stone was impossible until my grandson used his small hand to catch it while I tipped the tank back and forwards.

I am now waiting 24 hours for the inside to be fully dry and then it is on to the sealer. The instructions explain to drain it out using the tank drain off fitting and not the fillerĀ  because there is a small ridge inside which could cause a puddle.. I tried to undoĀ it but it has never been moved for 50 years and any more pressure would cause damage. Maybe I can use the floatĀ  fitting hole but I do not want to seal up the fixing screw holes. What would be a sensible drain point?

Please advise,Ā  Richard & B.

Ā 

Put the sender's screws (alone) into their holes, drain the tank, then remove the screws.

It's so long ago, I cannot remember which way I drained my ownĀ tank.Ā  At that time, I didn't have the benefit of a grandson to pick out small pieces of gravel!

Best of luck,

Ian Cornish

The tank is now in the house and it has to be bone dry. It is raining now, so next sunny day I will be sealing it ,out in the garden, and drainĀ through the sender hole. It has to be left for 5 daysĀ  afterwards , which works very well because I am going to DevonĀ  next Thursday and not back until Tuesday.Ā 

How does a saying "Dry as a bone" come into use.Ā  The Slosh instructions quote bone dry twice, so they must be serious.

Thanks Richard & B.

I had a moterĀ bike tank that had a leak, when I was an apprentice, the welder put his lighter outside the fillerĀ 

And lit it , it went pop with a flash, then he brased the seam,Ā  job done,Ā Ā 

Not something I would doĀ 

PinkĀ 

Richard,

if you heat it up with a paint stripper for just half an hr, only to 60-70Ā degrees C. or so, especially at welded seams etc, it will be bone dry.
Good luck,

Waldi

Ā 

Ā 

Harken ye, to the words of Ezekiel!Ā  (37:1-4) (Especially Richard!)

The hand of theĀ LordĀ was upon me, and carried me out in the spirit of theĀ Lord, and set me down in the midst of the valley which was full of bones,

2Ā And caused me to pass by them round about: and, behold, there were very many in the open valley; and, lo, they were very dry.

3Ā And he said unto me, Son of man, can these bones live? And I answered, O LordĀ God, thou knowest.

4Ā Again he said unto me, Prophesy upon these bones, and say unto them, O ye dry bones, hear the word of theĀ Lord.

ā€

image.png

Edited by john.r.davies

More lyricly, and all together now:

Ezekiel connected dem dry bones
Now hear the word of the Lord

Well, your toe bone connected to your foot bone
Your foot bone connected to your heel bone
Your heel bone connected to your ankle bone
Your ankle bone connected to your leg bone
Your leg bone connected to your knee bone
Your knee bone connected to your thigh bone
Your thigh bone connected to your hip bone
Your hip bone connected to your back bone
Your back bone connected to your shoulder bone
Your shoulder bone connected to your neck bone
Your neck bone connected to your head bone

Dem bones, dem bones gonna walk around
Dem bones, dem bones, gonna walk around
Dem bones, dem bones, gonna walk around

Disconnect dem bones, dem dry bones

Well, your head bone connected from your neck bone,
Your neck bone connected from your shoulder bone,
Your shoulder bone connected from your back bone,
Your back bone connected from your hip bone,
Your hip bone connected from your thigh bone,
Your thigh bone connected from your knee bone,
Your knee bone connected from your leg bone,
Your leg bone connected from your ankle bone,
Your ankle bone connected from your heel bone
Your heel bone connected from your foot bone
Your foot bone connected from your toe bone,

Oh well, Ā dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones
Dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones

Ā 

Ā 

Very thin those dancing friends, they need a better breakfast.

The tank has now been treated with the Slosh sealer. I managed to cover the inside of the tank all roundĀ  the outerĀ  casing but it was impossible to cover the baffles. It is an unusual product and some small spots were on the outside by accident. It was not easy to wipe them off even immediately. I used a plastic sheet and gloves and it was all clean until emptying the extra sealant. I used the tank sender opening and screwedĀ all six fixing screws in their place . But they still had the grey sealer all over their threads. So I cleaned each one with a wire brush and they came up all right. However one rogue screw jumped into the tank. I was thinking of leaving it but tried with a long magnet grab tool. Surprisingly it came up second try and then I cleaned all the threads in the tank casing. There was very little sealer left and over a couple of hours the remainderĀ started to go off in the can. The instructions say leave it for 5 or 7 days . Tomorrow it will need cleaning and a bit of painting on the outside and back in the car on Sunday. I did get some grey sealer on my left hand and it is really hard to clean it off. It is a powerful painting system. The kit was short on the cleaning fluid but just right on the sealant quantity.

IĀ  am not used to working on the car with no deadline for a meeting, or show etc.

Richard & B.

• 2 weeks later...

So I need a technique to fit the tank back in the car. I needĀ the tank to be in position with the rubber connector and the inside part of the filler cap. What is the best procedure. Last time I compressed the flexible hose but that is not possible this time. Thanks Richard & B

Edited by Richardtr3a
Clarity