Hi sage ones.

Thinking about winter projects - yes really.

I may be getting involved with remaking the bottom half of a bond Equipe Door,

inside and out, inside is no problem, but the outer steel skin, it  is a long door, maybe 1 mtre plus?

and there will be no skins or for that matter good doors around, so I did wonder about the feasability of

making a half skin, (Door is pretty flat) joddling or stepping the edge and then bonding this step inside onto the original cut door.

I seem to remember an episode of Car SOS, where a MK 2 Jag Door was reskinned up to the waistline? with  abonded new section.

John.

1 minute ago, John Morrison said:

Hi sage ones.

inside and out, inside is no problem, but the outer steel skin, it  is a long door, maybe 1 mtre plus?

and there will be no skins or for that matter good doors around, so I did wonder about the feasability of

making a half skin, (Door is pretty flat) joddling or stepping the edge and then bonding this step inside onto the original cut door.

I seem to remember an episode of Car SOS, where a MK 2 Jag Door was reskinned up to the waistline? with  abonded new section.

John.

I thought Bond used Herald doors.

Peter W

Early Bonds did use the Herald doors.

Later ones had a swageless outter skin, but may well have used a Herald inner skin and all the associated gubbins.

Charlie.

Edited by Charlie D
3 hours ago, John Morrison said:

joddling or stepping the edge and then bonding this step inside onto the original cut door.

I think that's a fairly standard way to repair door skins when the bottom has rotted. Certainly at least one of mine was done that way.

Jerry

3 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Hi sage ones.

John.

Hi John,

I can't comment on the Bonding, but I replaced the bottom of one of my TR6 doors this way. Used a piece of 20 gauge steel, joddled the edge, shoved it up underneath the existing edge and welded. I formed the foldback edges with a couple of 90 degree steels in the vice. There was some filler required but not loads, and the first picture is of how it looks today.

Hope this helps.

Sean

20200614_150722.jpg

P1040143 - Copy.JPG

P1040140 - Copy.JPG

P1040142 - Copy.JPG

Edited by SeanF
pic order
6 hours ago, John Morrison said:

John.

Hi John,

when you say Bond do you mean adhesive bond - as in gluing.

If so how are you going to go about it. ?

Roger

Hi John,

I have used the two part panel bonding glue and it works a treat but it isn't all that cheap. It should be fine on a long joint as you propose.

Give me a call to discuss.

Rod

Edited by Rodbr
2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi John,

Roger

I read 'bonding' as welding - must read things more carefully.

Jerry

3 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi John,

Roger

Not Redux then....

https://www.carcolourservices.co.uk/product/3m-panel-bonding-adhesive-08115/

I'd probably use JB Weld  https://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-weld-professional-size

Peter W