TR6 Bonnet Safety Catch quality

Any ideas who can supply a good quality bonnet safety catch ? The one on my TR6 is rubbish quality, metal too soft and the spring ( that tensions the locking plate) pings off all the time,. This part was probably from Moss and is very soft metal, just poor quality. Perennial problem of rubbish replacement parts !  

15 minutes ago, Kevo_6 said:

Hi Pete, it was discussed here quite a bit. Mainly the latter pages. Well worth a read through. 

You might want to make yourself a cup of tea as it did go on a bit ;):lol:

Stuart.

1 hour ago, Pete Holmes said:

Any ideas who can supply a good quality bonnet safety catch ? The one on my TR6 is rubbish quality, metal too soft and the spring ( that tensions the locking plate) pings off all the time,. This part was probably from Moss and is very soft metal, just poor quality. Perennial problem of rubbish replacement parts !  

Agree that the quality is not great.  I solved the problem of my bonnet popping open by sourcing a NOS spring.

The actual catch is still made of cheese but at least the bonnet stays shut now. 

Hi Peter,

The PQI team have just been looking at these.

There are various ways you can go.

Moss do a reasonable latch with a fillet  to support the hook arm - make sure the weld on the hook runs theength of the fillet and loks as it is done properly.

Rimmers probably get theirs from Moss.

The Roadster Factory (TRF) in the USA do a latch without the fillet but the metal is slightly thicker and the hook arm is supported by some;Bird beeks) on the radius. These appear to work well but will cost a lot more P&P and possible customs.

Or find a very old one. Mine s form the 90's, has not support and is going strong.

Roger

I found a second hand  original catch in the US recently. Once postage to Australia was included the price was about the same as a new reproduction unit.

Personally, I'll never buy repro parts if I can get an original.

3 hours ago, Chris Seymour said:

I bought one from Rimmers, it fell apart after a couple of weeks. Not fit for purpose, now no longer have the safety hook, not that it would of been up to the job in a collision.

You don't need the safety hook unless you have to brake hard . If the bonnet's floating free it will fly up as you slow down as, aerodynamic forces drop and  it pivots over its hinges. Then you have the collision - it's hard to see past the bonnet when it's up as far as it's holding strut will allow it to go.

13 hours ago, RogerH said:

They are not safety devices on the occasion of a prang. They are to keep the bonnet down should the spring loaded latch undo.

Roger

Several times over the years we have seen on here instances of front end collisions and in all cases when the bonnet safety catch has been fitted it has stopped the bonnet rear edge spearing through the screen.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi Stuart,

indeed, that may well be the case.

But for it to work consistently the hook should be the other way round.

But it works very effectively in order to stop the bonnet lifting and blocking forward vision.

Roger

Well, I have no hook and had a collision (took the wrong lane with my rhd). I need a new wing, frame and the bonnet need a rebuild, but it went not through the windscreen. There was not even a tendency to do so. But the collision was more at the lift side than in the centre.

Edited by Casar66