Idiot guide to timing cam/crank; Engine build

Evening all

I'm at the stage of contemplating rebuilding the engine and toying with DIY or chickening out and having someone else do it. I've built more modern non interference engines (MX5) using OHV and camshafts and timed them many times but I've no experience with the arrangement on the TR6 with push rods which is a new world for me.

So far I've looked at a few U Tube vids, Eds site and read a bit around the subject but I was wondering if there is a single step by step guild with pics to show exactly how it should be done and what tools are required. 

I basically don't want to balls up a rebuilt motor and need to be confident that I understand the process fully.

Also any local advice on where to take it for machining work appreciated (Based in West Yorkshire).

Thanks as ever.

Andy

10 hours ago, PodOne said:

Evening all

I'm at the stage of contemplating rebuilding the engine and toying with DIY or chickening out and having someone else do it. I've built more modern non interference engines (MX5) using OHV and camshafts and timed them many times but I've no experience with the arrangement on the TR6 with push rods which is a new world for me.

So far I've looked at a few U Tube vids, Eds site and read a bit around the subject but I was wondering if there is a single step by step guild with pics to show exactly how it should be done and what tools are required. 

I basically don't want to balls up a rebuilt motor and need to be confident that I understand the process fully.

Also any local advice on where to take it for machining work appreciated (Based in West Yorkshire).

Thanks as ever.

Andy

These guys are really good , Ive used them before https://www.stanwoodengineering.co.uk/Contact-Us.html

Stuart.

Hi Andy,

Throughout my build I found Elin Yakov's videos on youtube very informative. He doesn't do everything by the book, but to me being able to watch someone doing it and rewind and watch again was invaluable. He has more than one video on cam timing. Just my suggestion.

HTH

Sean

It'll be a doddle after your MX5 twincam. It's all in the manual. Just need a timing disc (a dial gauge is useful but not essential).

Note that the cam sprocket gives you small variations by using the alternate bolt holes.

Jerry

3 hours ago, jerrytr5 said:

It'll be a doddle after your MX5 twincam. It's all in the manual. Just need a timing disc (a dial gauge is useful but not essential).

Note that the cam sprocket gives you small variations by using the alternate bolt holes.

Jerry

And if you need to, you can turn the cam sprocket over for another two settings.

Rgds Ian

Thanks all for the encouragement I will have a look at all your suggestions. Should provide hours of fun.

9 hours ago, stuart said:

These guys are really good , Ive used them before https://www.stanwoodengineering.co.uk/Contact-Us.html

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart I and others in the MX5 world used Stanwood a lot and were always very happy. I'd no idea they also do a lot of Triumph work but after talking to them today I think I'll be taking the motor to them, won't be quick though as they have a 5-8 week wait at present.

Andy   

6 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

Nice article John think I get it. But will read it again and beg borrow or steal a couple of dial gauges!

Just one thing is it better to use two "push rods" of exact length?

Andy 

Glad to be of service!

No need for exact length dummy push rods.     The DGI stands should allow you to adjust them to approx the same height, and then a good DGI will let you zero the scale.

8 hours ago, John L said:

John

I understood wrongly then that the 6 cylinder cam sprocket with a double chain couldn't be turned over to use more adjustment, please confirm I'm wrong please.

John

You are right. 

The 6 cyl duplex chain sprocket can not be turned over to gain more adjustment - that is a feature of the duplex sprocket on the TR2-4 with 4 cyls.

Peter W

PS if you feel it is horribly out consider a vernier cam sprocket http://www.triumphspecialtuning.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=44&product_id=107

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT