Surrey rear glass replacement

Hello everyone.

Unfortunately the rear toughened Surrey glass broke today when the fitters were nearly finished. I now need to source a replacement. Did a search on this forum and could only find info from 2007.

That post suggested I would have to get a perspex one as glass no longer available, has that changed?

Looking for recommendations please.

Thanks in advance.

Glass is in stock at the usual suppliers, part number 902343, they are laminated..

Tom

31 minutes ago, Tom Boyd said:

Glass is in stock at the usual suppliers, part number 902343, they are laminated..

Tom

+1 Top man Tom ;)

They must have been very ham fisted if they managed to break a toughened one. Good luck with letting them fit a laminated one then as they are much easier to break. FWIW I have one here in stock you could have for £100 but you would have to collect.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart for your help. I will be in contact if I need the glass.

Just to add the glass damaged the newly painted back plate, glass frame and both wings. Sprayer said he will now have to do a complete respray from the doors backwards and the glass fitter has agreed to pay. Just delays it by another two weeks.

They say they come in threes, came downstairs to a kitchen flood on Sunday morning. House is currently up for sale. So whats my third one going to be? :o

Best wishes,

Mike

Blimey Mike,

Mine just walked away when the laminated rear screen broke. I guess if he supplied it then perhaps a different matter. I bought a original rear glass and paid £300 for it so Stuarts glass is a real bargain. It fitted right away and the fitter knew what he was doing.

Regards Harry

On 8/11/2020 at 8:40 AM, harrytr5 said:

Blimey Mike,

Mine just walked away when the laminated rear screen broke. I guess if he supplied it then perhaps a different matter. I bought a original rear glass and paid £300 for it so Stuarts glass is a real bargain. It fitted right away and the fitter knew what he was doing.

Regards Harry

The laminated ones break very easy Im afraid and I wont fit them, if you found an original toughened one for £300 you had a bargain Harry.

Stuart.

I have a laminated one which came with a kit and I swapped a highly etched original into the backlight before fencing it. I removed it with my fingers only and fitted the original likewise, on my office floor. The laminated one has a TRIUMPH logo with laurels, TR7/8 style. I don't know why they should break when installing.

Originals suffer from etching where the seal  pulled away from the glass and allowed grit to enter, then oscillating nicely until etching is complete. This is the devil to polish out ( I tried with a large glass wholesaler next door to my business and while they diminished it much remains ). Fortunately, a new seal can cover the sins pretty well, and the kit I fenced didn't reveal it. 

The laminated one is surplus to my needs. I will use the polished original if I ever need another.

Taylor Made, a glass manufacturer here in the 'States made some tempered repros back in the 1900s. TRF fenced at least (10) of these and I have one on my driver. I had to put a tourniquet on the backlight frame to contort it enough to fit, but it's been fine for the last 17 years or so. I reckon they would do another run if approached.

Tom 

23 hours ago, Tom Fremont said:

I have a laminated one which came with a kit and I swapped a highly etched original into the backlight before fencing it. I removed it with my fingers only and fitted the original likewise, on my office floor. The laminated one has a TRIUMPH logo with laurels, TR7/8 style. I don't know why they should break when installing.

Tom 

Because the laminated ones over here arent that well put together and have no markings, theyre made in Turkey I  believe.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Rear glass was fitted today with no issues, thanks to Stuart, Tom and Harry for their help on this thread.

Jeff Marks from Moss-Europe sent me an email and called me to explain why they make the seal longer for the rear glass. Jeff was also happy for me to post his instructions so that it might help those who might need to replace a rear glass seal sometime in the future.

Instructions rear glass seal surrey top TR5

Although the seal seems to be too long, without this extra length the seal will not fit correctly into the lower front corners, we put a lot of time and effort into achieving the optimum length.

Start by finding the join and fit this at centre top then push the seal onto the glass working equally to both sides in turn without any lubricant and do not pull it tight along its length. When doing so when you reach the lower centre you will have a loop of extra material, loosen the seal along the lower edge and fit the center of the rubber to the glass. Then work the seal onto the glass working equally to both sides in turn, you will find that the rubber needs to be “worked” on to the glass.

When fitting this to the aluminum frame we use a washing line as it is strong, doesn’t stretch and pulls out of the seal well, we always do the job with two people one working inside and one out pulling the line out equally to both sides and helping the rubber to lip over as we go along where necessary, this gets tricky on the corners and patience is paramount.

We use silicon spray to lube as we go but this might terrify your painter as paint and silicon aren’t good together when applying the paint.

Jeff Marks, Moss-Europe