engine oil grade.

Hi all. OK so I am going to give my 6 an oil change. I normally use 20/50 mineral oil. Basically diesel truck oil. 

I'm interested as to what grade others use. My cars Normally driven in hot climates by the way. 

Thanks.

Castrol Edge 25-50.

5 minutes ago, murrayarnold said:

You know I typed engine oil in the search box and nothing came back. What am I doing wrong? 

The search facility doesn't recognise three letter words, I don't know why?

In this case it's advised to simply google "engine oil tr register forum", or something like that.

Richard.

25 minutes ago, murrayarnold said:

You know I typed engine oil in the search box and nothing came back. What am I doing wrong? 

Don't use the forum search box, it doesn't work very well as you have found. Google it and include "TR Forum" in the search term - works much better. 

Lots of stuff on this.  I use Fuchs Classic 20/50, there are other good 20/50 Classics out there.  I stayed away from synthetic, being thinner it tends to exacerbate any drips into full blown leaks.  Also, check the ZDDP parts per million, that's an important number as it helps with wear, too little is no good, but neither (bizarrely) is too much.  I try to go for 1200 ppm.

Hi, I just noticed who you are, I think you go for a 'racier' set up than most, so maybe something with a little more protection than for those of us who don't get quite so far into the rev range: https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-162361-fuchs-classic-racelube-20w-50-semi-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

BTW, I've no relationship to Fuchs, I believe there are others. It's pretty pricy, but I suppose next to a rebuild, then not.

Many of the threads mentioned above are quite old - one player has moved into the market more recently and is probably worth consideration - Classic Oils heritage mineral 20/50 -  it is the only one (that I am aware of) who clearly state the ZDDP value on the label. I moved to it from VR1, I’m happy with my choice. 

This subject normally generates plenty of debate, so in the end it will come down to your choice.

..... Andy 

32 minutes ago, AndyR100 said:

Many of the threads mentioned above are quite old - one player has moved into the market more recently and is probably worth consideration - Classic Oils heritage mineral 20/50 -  it is the only one (that I am aware of) who clearly state the ZDDP value on the label. I moved to it from VR1, I’m happy with my choice. 

This subject normally generates plenty of debate, so in the end it will come down to your choice.

..... Andy 

As endorsed by Fuzz from Car SOS.

2 hours ago, murrayarnold said:

You know I just remember what I put in the engine before. Sorry but not changed the oil for about 6 years. I used bike oil. 

6 years:o

+1 for the Classic Oils Heritage 20W50. Pressure never drops below an indicated 70psi @ 2000rpm even on hottest days.

Tim