steering shaft thread size

41 minutes ago, dingle said:

Ok, I just answered my own question. According to my Haynes manual, it is 9/16" UNS, which is 27TPI.

Berry

What is wrong with the thread.  Is it the shaft or the nut?

If nut buy a new one at £4.50 each.

If shaft I would use a thread file rather than hoping to align a die on the existing damaged thread. 

A small triangular needle file would tidy up the shaft thread if you cannot find a 27tpi thread file at the right price.

Peter W

I was asking the question because another person in a local club was repairing a shaft with damage. He is welding over the threads and will recut them on a lathe. The plot thickens because he just posted that he checked another shaft and found that it was 28 TPI. I checked my shaft and could not decide if it was 27 or 28 TPI. I tried both a pitch gauge and taps. Maybe the threads were deformed from tapping on the shaft to remove the steering wheel. Learning the 9/16 UNS is available in 9 different pitches makes it even more confusing.

Berry