TR3A electric fan retrofit

One of my regrets when I restored the TR3a was not fitting an electric cooling fan to assist the mechanical fan. I wonder if I can fit a small 12 inch (so it doesnt block the starting handle hole) pusher fan without taking off the front apron ?. If I remove the grill and the cardboard duct is there enough room to get a fan in and attach it to the radiator ?.

Stan

Yes there is room Stan. That is essentially what I did - the bottom edge of the fan housing sits just above the handle hole in the radiator.  I made up some metal brackets to support the fan, attached to the radiator stay bolts at the top and the floor of the 'mouth' at the bottom  but some fans come with plastic ties which go through the rad core which would be easier. 

Thanks Rob, that is very encouraging. I am not yet mentally prepared to take off the apron but I dont mind tackling the grill and duct. The weather here has been hot for most of July and the TR3 does not like sitting in traffic on 90+ degree days.

1 hour ago, foster461 said:

Another fan question.. Just looking at a single brand like Spal, they have several different options for a 12" pusher fan. Are more blades better than fewer blades and are curved blades better than straight blades ? .

Stan

Look at the CFM it will shift, most these days are multi curved blades.

Stuart.

It depends on what you mean by 'better'. A fan with high throughput when running will have bigger /more blades but remember that when the fan is not running and just windmilling,  these will tend to impede airflow through the rad - so the fan may need to run more often than you expect. 

If all you are after is a bit of extra cooling in traffic, perhaps fewer blades would be the optimium?

Edited by RobH

Rob makes an excellent point. This pusher fan will be  impeding air flow when it is not running and will likely only come on during hot days sitting in traffic. I'm still using the generator so probably cant afford to have the fan on more than necessary.

Something to ponder.

Stan