endfloat distributor pedestal

What is the reason for the endfloat on the distributor pedestal? I am aware too tight may cause the gear and cam not able to turn or too much friction, but too much endfloat causes the gear to have too much play?

Jochem

49 minutes ago, JochemsTR said:

What is the reason for the endfloat on the distributor pedestal? I am aware too tight may cause the gear and cam not able to turn or too much friction, but too much endfloat causes the gear to have too much play?

Jochem

Prevent jamming as the parts heat up and expand ?

All parts have an endfloat, even screw threads on pedestals on watches ! as Mike points out.

When you are machining in engineering you learn to make all machine movements in one direction, even with high quality minimum play components on machine tools to minimise and reduce any end play between the two surfaces of the male and female threads employed. In the same way two components which run against one another cannot have no end play otherwise it prevents any lubrication to remain between the two surfaces which helps reduce the friction and potential seizing up. Too little end play squeezes out the existing lubrication and causes excess wear. Set end play at the minimum figure to maximise length in service. 

Mick Richards     

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Also, if the gear can move upwards, you will loose more oil to the dizzy side. Not needed there.

Waldi

I adjusted the endfloat by installing one gasket and pulled the gear up with a finger. If it felt there was play I left it like that. Worked over many miles. With my new engine, I want to do it according to the Brown Bible. Triumph spent a whole chapter on this. Just wondering about the reason. The variable timing as Rob mentioned seems most plausible to me. 
Jochem

Jochem

Worth taking your time to get it right as above you will also notice the brass type finish on the top of where is goes for good reason also to much play will hammer the mill pin.

Edited by ntc