Std Pi Air Filter

Hi All

Hopefully a simple question, needed either because I didn’t take enough photos or things were partly disassembled when I got my car, I can't remember and either could be correct.

So it’s about the hoses, numbers 102, in the pic on the Rimmers website,

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID600067

They come out of the standard Pi air cleaner, but where do they go? do they just kind of dangle in front of the radiator or point into the airflow or is there something they attach to or do they go somewhere completely different.

I’ve trawled through loads of images on the web but can’t seem to find anything useful.

Cheers    Keith

Hi

Cheers for that.

Assuming thats correct and i can't seem any reason it isn't or anywhere else they would go, i don't understand the reason for the designers doing it that way, the pipes don't seem to be drawing either specifically hot or cold air.

Maybe the pipe length does something with the air flow speed or something, i dunno.

But at least i know what i need to do with them.

Cheers   Keith   

I recently recored the radiator and whilst it was out I pondered this issue, not understanding why the hoses just seemed to casually terminate stuffed up against the offside wheel arch.  I got rid of one of the loops and directed the remaining one to allow the hoses to point down towards the valance. I scalloped the hoses as you can see in the photos. I don’t use the car as a daily and rarely in the wet, so water ingress isn’t much of a worry (though I am welcome to some thoughts on this, as I would reposition if necessary). The photo is from underneath the bumper. I have not used it much since, but the car pulls very strongly and I am sure benefits from the improved airflow. The hoses aren’t visible at all from normal positions.

5616985C-EDA5-4259-8B31-93C4586FE992.jpeg

On 7/31/2020 at 9:28 PM, michaeldavis39 said:

As per attached photo

post-11362-0-80768400-1520168119.jpg

I recognise that photo, it’s my car and as far as I know it’s the correct position and IIRC they weren’t pointed down towards the valance vent because if you went through a large puddle it would suck water into the engine.

Kev, That was my only concern...water ingress, either through deep water (the puddle would have to be 10” deep) or through sheer volume of water taken in when driving. For my use, neither is likely, the former because I would just stay away from that scenario. The second because the hose inlets are behind the number plate and I cannot remember the last time I drove that car in heavy rain.  I think I will however raise them into the cavity between the grille and radiator a little just to be sure.