Triumph Weekends 2021 and 2022

8 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Morning all,

I have hidden a number of posts here, for two reasons,

1) I think they detract from the purpose of this particular thead, and

2) They are really a subject for our members only section - Alecs Inn.

Please feel free to start a new thread in Alecs Inn, to cover the subject raised here, and I will gladly

transfer the hidden posts and open them again.

John.

Thumbs up from me.

2EF0A0BC-27BF-46E3-81D9-B106B541C34F.png

Yes great news about Malvern  not too sure about Stafford but time will tell. Looking forward to 2021 already!

Alan G

A few years ago, after the Harrogate debacle, there was a debate on this forum about suitable places and I suggested Stafford showground, having never been there but passed often, it seemed to be fairly centrally located (something contributors were asking for) and of a suitable size. However, one of the replies was from the Hon. President was that something in the past, I know not what, ruled it out as even a possibility, I wonder what has changed!.

As a senile old Hon. President, I can't recall ever ruling out Stafford. However, I can recall working (as a commentator) at TSCC events there in the 1990s, and it was the TSSC, rather than the TRR, which originally decided to withdraw because of a lack of some facilities (and no, I have quite forgotten what they were ....).

But that was then, and this is now. For all I know, Stafford is a much more capable place than it was - and like Malvern, it is handily close to the road systems in the Midlands, and therefore acceptable to most TRR and TSSC members.. 

Let me close by insisting that, as a 'non-executive' of the TRR, I have no influence on the choice of the IWE location.

Some years ago when the dates were correct a group of us used to go to our international and then have a weeks touring holiday and then attend the TSSC international at Stafford and I always thought it was quite a good venue with two large halls and a decent bar with lots of room for camping. TSSC stopped going I believe for price reasons plus their membership was dwindling too.

Stuart.

2 minutes ago, stuart said:

Some years ago when the dates were correct a group of us used to go to our international and then have a weeks touring holiday and then attend the TSSC international at Stafford and I always thought it was quite a good venue with two large halls and a decent bar with lots of room for camping. TSSC stopped going I believe for price reasons plus their membership was dwindling too.

Stuart.

Had some excellent Weekends at Stafford and one can always find things to moan about but it’s also very easy to enjoy yourself with likeminded people.

11 minutes ago, TR NIALL said:

Had some excellent Weekends at Stafford and one can always find things to moan about but it’s also very easy to enjoy yourself with likeminded people.

Yep we had great fun there.

Stuart.

I liked Stafford, not as much as Malvern, but I liked Stafford.

From memory, dodgy nowadays, didn't they have a fire in Bingley hall,

did the place up and shot the prices through the roof?

John.

2 hours ago, Graham Robson said:

As a senile old Hon. President, I can't recall ever ruling out Stafford. However, I can recall working (as a commentator) at TSCC events there in the 1990s, and it was the TSSC, rather than the TRR, which originally decided to withdraw because of a lack of some facilities (and no, I have quite forgotten what they were ....).

But that was then, and this is now. For all I know, Stafford is a much more capable place than it was - and like Malvern, it is handily close to the road systems in the Midlands, and therefore acceptable to most TRR and TSSC members.. 

Let me close by insisting that, as a 'non-executive' of the TRR, I have no influence on the choice of the IWE location.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that you had any influence over decisions made at a "board" level, and maybe I misinterpreted your reply in the topic I am talking about, but the suggestion that Stafford was unsuitable (perhaps based on your own experiences) seemed to be implicit in your reply at the time. Obviously things have changed and it will become evident in the future whether or not Stafford is an alternative. 

6 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

Thank you, Graham, for confirming my opinion that Stafford is a shed in a field, with no redeeming features.

John, Stafford has changed from "a shed in a field" to a proper showground with excellent facilities similar to that at Malvern. https://www.staffscountyshowground.co.uk/hire-of-facilities/ I dropped by there today to see if the website and reality were the same place, they are. Some facilities are even better than Malvern's particularly the main arena with a covered 600 seat grandstand, wow. Some serious money has been spent on it recently. Some very helpful staff allowed me to wander around despite the showground being closed. Really good camping area with lots of electrical hook-ups, water points, toilet block and showers. Very large car parking and other more natural camping areas. As a bonus, a narrow gauge railway club operates there with a seriously good set-up, something for kids of all ages.

I was pleasantly surprised.

Mick

20200803_105845 small.jpg

20200803_105903 small.jpg

20200803_105918 small.jpg

20200803_110102 small.jpg

20200803_111036 small.jpg

Edited by Mick Forey
7 minutes ago, Mick Forey said:

John, Stafford has changed from "a shed in a field" to a proper showground with excellent facilities similar to that at Malvern. https://www.staffscountyshowground.co.uk/hire-of-facilities/ I dropped by there today to see if the website and reality were the same place, they are. Some facilities are even better than Malvern's particularly the main arena with a covered 600 seat grandstand, wow. Some serious money has been spent on it recently. Some very helpful staff allowed me to wander around despite the showground being closed. Really good camping area with lots of electrical hook-ups, water points, toilet block and showers. Very large car parking and other more natural camping areas. As a bonus, a narrow gauge railway club operates there with a seriously good set-up, something for kids of all ages.

Mick

20200803_105845 small.jpg

20200803_105903 small.jpg

20200803_105918 small.jpg

20200803_110102 small.jpg

20200803_111036 small.jpg

Mick those facility’s were always their in Stafford it’s just they were never used to their full potential.

3 minutes ago, Mick Forey said:

The conference facility and entertainment space looks very new, perhaps it has just been refreshed to a very high standard.

Mick

Certainly been there for at least ten years +

It was always deemed too expensive for us.:(

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Read Graham'ss post properly - he was certainly NOT confirming the opinion of john.r.davies that Stafford is nowadays a shed in a field, with no redeeming features.

Mick Forey has taken the trouble to visit today (3rd August 2020) and has posted helpful information, and I have had a gander at the website - looks nothing like the place I recall from 1994 & 1995 - that's a LONG time ago!

We should give the Management Team the opportunity to prove that they have conducted a thorough evaluation of these venues and that both Malvern in 2021 and Stafford in 2022 will (weather permitting - remember 2007!) prove to be worthwhile and enjoyable events - even for old lags like yours truly.

Perhaps the moaners will stop complaining and will offer to assist in making these events GREAT!

Ian Cornish

My overriding memory of Stafford was the next village complaining about the noise of the film for the kids  “ Jurassic Park”  booming out over the site at night over ans above everything else.

Those were the days, 25th celebrations and’ Becky’.:wub:

Excellent work by everybody and a good effort by Mick to raise everybody’s comfort level.

My experience with moaners is that they will always bitch and moan, even after serious improvements have been made - beacause then they will moan that « it ain’t the way it used to be »

james

4 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

Mick

Thank you. MIck!  Hope springs eternal, so what will the TSSC do with those facilities?  I recall a parade of Concourse winners in the stadium, with commenary by Graham, excellent of course, and, er, .....