TR6 Clutch odd sounds.

My 1969 TR6 started making a rattling knocking sound  when the clutch is pressed.

On Monday removed the gearbox and clutch. I found the tapered pin holding the fork onto the cross shaft was broken, but still in place causing a small amount of movement.

The conclusion I reached this was the problem.

I have now replaced the following parts, clutch kit, release bearing, carrier, cross shaft, fork and taper pin.

After having completed this job I have found I have made no progress and the clutch still sounds the same when the pedal is pressed.

Any advice and guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

Have you fitted the dowel bolts in the gearbox engine flange?

Did you change the cross shaft bushes?

When you depress the clutch can you select reverse without crunching?  It may be the clutch is not opening enough with wear on the pedal and master cylinder push rod perhaps.

Perhaps it could be the gearbox snout that is not correct, Roger on here had a new one that was dimensionally wrong.

Has it always made the noise?

John

Did the starting of the noise commence after changing those?

If not, I hope for you it’s not the axial (thrust) bearings on the crankshaft, I would check that first.

Did you note there is a small bronze bush in the flywheel and did it have a proper sliding fit?

Re the tapered pin: it is a good practice to install a roll pin additionally to the tapered pin in the fork. A Google search will lead you to that info. A “must” when you remove the GB again.

59 minutes ago, jimcwestie said:

It was making the noise before I replaced all the parts.

I did not replace the bush in the flywheel.

The engine is running well and sounds great. Will have a check for any end float.

Thanks

Jim

Simple to check.

Engine stopped.  Tyre lever on the front pulley and lever/push against the chassis or cross tube.  You will see and hear the Clonk if there is too much. Spec 0.004-0.006”. I think.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Good you inspected that. 
Now hope the wear has not affected the bearing cap/engine casing.

Waldi

1 hour ago, Waldi said:

Good you inspected that. 
Now hope the wear has not affected the bearing cap/engine casing.

Waldi

Ditto that.

If you've caught this early enough, fiddling new thrust washers into place (probably oversize now) and replacing the rear main bearing cap should solve the problem.

Nigel

5 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Crank shaft end float?

Peter W

Trumps for Peter (again).