How can I make really good photos of my TR?

In my opinion on most TR photos you can see how much the owner is in love with his car.

Means: what is not pretty he does not realize - but is visible on the photo!

The challenge is: how to make a photo of your car that gets the attention of others - who are not in love with YOUR car?

My solution is to photograph from at least 20 meters (or yards!) away from the subject......preferably in a thick fog:blink:

I hijacked another thread with some comments on this issue of how best to photographs our cars.  Some of the comments were really insightful, and we discussed using industrial-type architecture as a backdrop, the advantages of tight or wide shots, and how backgrounds of lines and curves work with the subject.  I have experimented with shots directly overhead, which can be really interesting (showing the hips of the sidescreen cars especially), and shots taken from a low-to-the-ground perspective.  A beautiful scenic background is always great, but there are even subtleties to that.  Of course, equipment matters, but my iPhone is not bad!  There are quite a few shots in the "Out and About" forum (and elsewhere) that are just stunning, so I know we have talent (and material!) in this club.  Any thoughts from others would be appreciated!

Cheers

Dan  

Edited by 2long

Best is the observer has reasons to look on the photo again and again,

because you find details - or stories on it - or he asks himself questions about whats going on.

In combination with an old building this is not my TR but my Norton (and wife).

P1100786-sepiaklein-b.thumb.JPG.75ce00447fa299e4b1cd5a74d9adb396.JPG

Edited by Z320
1 hour ago, Z320 said:

Best is the observer has reasons to look on the photo again and again,

because you find details - or stories on it - or he asks himself questions about whats going on.

In combination with an old building this is not my TR but my Norton (and wife).

P1100786-sepiaklein-b.thumb.JPG.75ce00447fa299e4b1cd5a74d9adb396.JPG

A real nicely thought out photo, more would be nice.

Mick Richards

12 hours ago, Ben Freer said:

My solution is to photograph from at least 20 meters (or yards!) away from the subject......preferably in a thick fog:blink:

Hi Ben,

you are not taking this seriously

Below is the best pic I can find of my car.

Red is normally for the Prancing Horse type cars

And it is not an MGBegonia

Roger

DSC_4916a.jpg

The right light is crucial. Mid-day at this time of year and the full sun makes cars look bland and washed out.

Wait until you get the hues, tones and shadows of early evening or an autumnal sun. Gives the shape and curves something extra dimensionally, and you'll get some interesting shots

Kevin

Following on from Kev's more serious post.

If using flash be careful where the shadows fall and how deep they are.

In very sunny conditions consider a fill-in flash to subdue the shadows.

Autumn colours could make a car light up but also consider the depth of field and perhaps put the colours slightly out of focus.

You want the eye drawn to the car not my Begonias.

How about a rock face in a quarry - put it just out of focus.  Or shoot the whole scene through a stocking (Vignetting)  That should sort the door gaps.

When shooting near moving water (waterfall, waves crashing on a beach) consider a big f setting (f22) and slow speed (1/15th)  with a tripod. This gives the waves a cloudy effect.

Coloured lighting may give interesting effects but are childish. (that's me).

Good luck & keep snapping

Roger

6 hours ago, Z320 said:

Mick, do you like this?

IMG_1915.thumb.JPG.e2e422c9c31b7f39e1a66b249b43351b.JPG

That looks great ...! Ski’s and a tailored suitcase off on holiday. Damn it reminds me what life was like before Coronavirus, best wishes to yourself and your darling wife.

Mick and Margaret Richards

Unless it is an action shot I think some time is needed to select the background. Think about the colour of the car will a red car look good against a red background? Select an appropriate list of background colours that you think will allow your car to stand out.

Then think about the texture of the background, will a "busy" background distract from the car or will large sweeps of colour allow the eye to focus on the car?

Avoid a background with any brightly coloured areas which will draw the eye away from the car.

Spend a little time looking through the viewfinder, would the car look better in relation to the background it it was a few feet further forward, or backwards?

Angle of the car (or people) a diagonal shot to me always seems more interesting than a square on photograph - Chris Seymour's photos above are good.

Height of camera - needs some experimenting with the camera at ground level, or as high as you can get it, depends on the picture you are trying to create.

Check that there is no litter, photographers shadow, or other unwanted "stuff" in the photograph.

or in short do not take a photograph, take your time and compose a photograph.

Alan

Great thread!

I'm certainly no pro. My 'camera kit' consists of nothing more than a Galaxy S8 smartphone and a free photoshop app! 

But even without a fancy DSLR, it's surprising what results can be achieved with just a few pointers and some creative experimentation.

Here are some useful starter tips for 10.

And a few of my experiments, which some of you may have seen before . . . 

TRsun30.thumb.jpg.b125494fa146b17fe08da03ccdafa1c6.jpg

TRventured.thumb.jpg.e19ef177c26e357f34de406a46070c73.jpg

TRdevLane.thumb.jpg.652531da09eb07e3b3fd381b86f34201.jpg

Failing all that of course . . . just add California sunshine and your new favourite co-driver. Bingo, instant magazine cover! :D

TRmorg1.thumb.jpg.02353e77e942be5c893b2b6f1d173ef9.jpg

Cheers, Deggers

Hi Deggers,

your #4 pic is very nice. The car takes second place (only just) to the winding lane - where is it going, where will it take us - a little bit of mystery.

The brake light is a clever trick - it brings meaning to the bottom left corner - otherwise quite plain.

As for pic 5 - corrrrrrrr.

Roger

One of my favourite shots taken by Julian Stephens quite a few years ago on a club night run

Stuart.

IMG_1755-1.jpg

And a similar one

STU-31082010.jpg

Edited by stuart

Quick guide to taking better photos.

1. Light.  Photography captures the image of reflected  light, and so the balance and the many qualities of light ought to be foremost in your consideration.  Most of us know ..from being first taught as a child, that when you wish to take a photograph of a love one’s face then you have them stand or sit in orientation to a light source.  That may be from behind the camera, from above, or perhaps from the side. Light from immediately behind the camera tends to flatten the features (little or no shadows to convey depth) whereas light from above and to one side, as long as it’s not too ‘hard’ (bright and from a single light source) better brings out the rounder shape and softer features of a face.  

Why then do so many drivers stop their car and take a piccie without considering those same factors ?  I guess it’s because most of us see a background view or architectural feature and plonk their car in front of it.  The photographer, and the capabilities of the camera, then have to work around whatever light there is, its colour and harshness, and its orientation. Worded another way., we start with a compromise situation and just hope the photo turns out good.  Sometimes it does, more often than not it doesn’t.

A professional photographer drives around looking for a backdrop to the car, where the quality of light and its orientation is already good. The car is then positioned relative to the light and to the backdrop.  A vehicle may be turned relative to those for different shots.

Often they use a reflective screen like < these > which come in different colours, &/or a string of flash / flood lamps ..perhaps positioned down low &/or to one side of the car, to fill-in the deeper shadows ..from where there is either too strong a contrast or else a lack of natural light.  And sometimes they may place lighting or a reflector behind the car to illuminate the ground under it.  The foresight and preparation is the difference between a photograph and a snapshot.

Recently I took photographs of my black Sunbeam motorcycle. I was putting it up for sale and so for convenience (read : laziness) I did this in the garden. But first I waited for the right weather with blue skies but also clouds.  I had cut the lawn and locally cleared an area of grass cuttings, which is where I’d park my bike the following day. I even placed a steel plate on the lawn ready for its centre-stand and that (in higher aspect shots) added a welcome splash and balance of colour  (..its rust contrasting with / subliminally emphasising the absence of rust on the bike).  Then the following morning ..when the light was a little softer and of warmer hues, lower in the sky and from the right direction for me to have the clearer backdrop I wanted.  I took some of the required photographs before then turning the motorcycle itself around, for the sunlight to fill in from the other side of the motorcycle.

P1350331.thumb.jpg.a82366ffd48f535727d8c7687947623b.jpg

Had I been serious about wanting to get a great shot, then I would have sought a more interesting backdrop,  &/or been out there several days in a row, from just before dusk, and then back again in the late afternoon and evening ..to explore different and changing sunlight and its lower aspect in the sky. And I would have had infill lighting in place to offer a few more highlights, under the saddle, and within the wheels and lower mudguards. But these were just to present that vintage motorcycle ‘ in a good light’ so to speak, which was to help sell her at the best price.  Thankfully they worked and the bike was sold at the asking price.

There are of course many different light sources and of different temperatures, such as ; the warmth of tungsten lighting versus phosphorous, neon, or LED.  There’s indirect lighting from parking in the shade and using the light reflected off  a building perhaps, or the diffused lighting under a canopy or through trees ..and of course when sunlight is diffused through clouds. There’s also bright moonlights to take photographs by.  And then there’s street lamp-posts and city / shop window lights. Lighting from other car’s headlamps. These being aside from all sorts of filters for toning and special effect.

Photography is an in-depth subject but lighting is foremost in taking better photos.   I’ll stop there for now, and perhaps come back sometime soon to share some tips on composition. In the meantime I hope the above offers food for thought and other contributors' comments..

Pete.

P1350352.thumb.jpg.78fae52d91f7e096cc640b462596884b.jpg

Edited by Bfg

I have stolen this from Dan from another thread.

562877243_DansTR2atWaikiki2020-b.jpeg.d774fa0651c72c16b9df3cdd4a98d2c3.jpeg

The light is not perfect, it is just the way it was when Dan was there. And this is what we mostly have to accept.

But you see what is the most urgend thing: you have to make the photo the way to catch the obververs attention who has no relation to YOUR car.

This one I want to have on my 2021 TR2/3 wall calendar to look several times every day on it at August 2021!

Dan: I send you a PM

And perhaps you tell us what you did to make it. Or you just have the view and talent!