Radiator Cowl (Air Duct) Options

1. The PO on rebuild fitted the 3 x (paired) K&N filters in place of the plenum/ air box arrangement. However the planum/ air box type radiator cowl has been retained as an open void- presumably to allow a greater amount of cool air to the filters. However I am concerned thus that too much air is not being directed to the radiator/ not enough through the radiator. An electric 'pusher' fan is fitted, and consequentially  the fan is also maybe needing to work more than necessary I am considering replacing the retained cowl with the 'carburettor'  (enclosed)  version , with a void cut and covered with a mesh. What is the normal solution with the 3x K&N filter arrangement. If the foregoing, what size void is recommended.

2. With the 3xK&N 's the air bleed hose (to plenum) has been replaced with the 50mm.  K&N filter which creates, in particular in 'tick over', an audible 'sucking' noise previously absorbed via the hose to the plenum. Is there an alternative  arrangement for the air bleed to be facilitated into the clean air requirement- given retention of the 3xK&N arrangement. 

Thanks 

Hi Barry,

I have the 3 x K&N setup and a rad cowl as you describe, however my vehicle retains the air filter housing fitted with a filter inside.  If you copy this arrangement your existing rad cowl can be retained and any air pressure loss at the radiator you are concerned about should be avoided.

Your second point, I also have the 50mm filter fitted to the air screw and mine also makes an unpleasant noise. I haven'texperimented but would think relocating the filter lower down on a longer pipe should help. Let me know if it does !

Bob

Thanks Bob for your early response,

1. The retaining  of the air box is very interesting - the PO included the original air box & plenum in the 'bits & bobs package so I can refurb & use the box.  Am I correct in assuming the air passing through the 'box' with the filter installed exits directly into the open engine bay. - the arrangement principal function to effectively create 'resistance'.

2. Thanks for your thoughts - good idea - will experiment at some point.

Thanks again.