Horn Push to Horn Ring 'pencil' connector

1. I am replacing the horn button 'pencil' insulated connection (to the horn ring), on the TR6, as the soldered dome end is worn flat. Both the MOSS and Rimmer illustrations indicate the longer 'brass' end downwards i.e running on the horn ring.; the Workshop Manual does not show but states 'spring end downwards - which I assume is the longer brass end. = brass running on brass. Mine came out the other way round - possible why the soldered dome was worn flat. The steering wheel hub is a Moto-Lita type. 

(1)   Can you please advise which way is the correct way (and to maintain avoidance of a short circuiting current to earth).

(2)   Is lubricant required at the (running) connection to the horn ring e.g. dielectric grease, and if so recommend a readily available lubricant.

Thanks 

1. Brass end down is correct. The brass does wear over time. Mine is also fitted in a Moto-Lita wheel.

2. Sorry, don't know, but never heard of any being used. FWIW the horn pencil in my car was last replaced in 1990 and I've done ~50k miles since.

Mine's the same as John's. I also have a Moto-Lita wheel . There should be an insulator in the wheel for the pencil. I use a touch of graphite grease on the brass rubbing surfaces- it's important the grease conducts- dielectric grease defeats the purpose .

100_7257.JPG

Thanks  for the response John & Mike.   The 'pencil' has an outer plastic sleeve insulator. On fitting I need to check that there is not much side movement when in spring compression (with the ring and horn push connector arm) since there is no other insulator in the wheel hub hole for the 'pencil; and the hole diameter is a bit larger. If so, may be worth  my adding additional insulation to the hole itself as a matter of course, and to limit potential side movement of the pencil connector. Graphite grease tip noted.

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies for the delay.  Solution eventually tracked down and rectified. I read somewhere that sometimes Moto- Lita wheel hub can occasionally touch the horn ring, thus creating a circuit. This was the case with mine. Solution, as advised, was to file a small amount off the base of the 'hub. Now works without involuntary interruption - brass down on the 'pencil bush'.

Thanks again for your interest.