37 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

hi all,

will be replacing diff mounts on a 6,

cursory look has me thinking its drop the diff time, is that the case, or

am I missing something obvious?

John.

Hi John, you will have to drop the diff if only for the the upper front bushes. I did manage to do all the others with the diff in. It’s always good when it’s out to check for any stress fractures and broken pins.

I think I must be missing something obvious too - how could you do it without dropping the diff?

As Roger says, check the front diff mounting plate too.

Jerry

Diff.JPG

I would have the MIG and grinder on standby. That whole area is under-engineered and prone to stress cracks and rusted out pins. Once you get the diff off give the bottom of the brackets a good clean and check for cracks. You can box in the inner sides of the front brackets pretty easily and I think that would be better than doing nothing to help strengthen the diff mounts.

Stan

If you take the diff  down, I would go for ordinary rubber mounts, the poly ones can add some noise into the body, also take the rear plate off and add a drain plug in the aluminium cover perhaps.

John

Hi John.....

And change the oil and cover gasket.
And check the oil seals, replace if required.

With the diff out you can also check the drive shafts and prop shaft for proper sliding and UJ’s condition.

Where to stop:)

Waldi

5 hours ago, Waldi said:

Hi John.....

And change the oil and cover gasket.
And check the oil seals, replace if required.

With the diff out you can also check the drive shafts and prop shaft for proper sliding and UJ’s condition.

Where to stop:)

Waldi

For me , it would be a good job for winter, when all the odds and ends associated with the diff being out can be done at leisure.