Can anyone recommend quality sound deadening sheets products either in rolls or sheets.  So many on the market and at a wide range of prices. All to be used in a TR5 on doors, behind upholstery, fuel tank etc?  

Philip

There is a lot of misinformstion and misunderstanding in the area of sound control in vehicles.  There are several types of products that worknin diffetent ways. 

"Sound deadening" or "damping" mats or sheets ususlly refer to Constrained Layer (CLD) products. They use a dense, sticky viscoelastic layer, often a bituminous or butyl rubber substance, covered by a thin aluminum layer.  They work by increasing the mass of a car panel, and absorbing vibration energy in the resilient layer. This effectively reduces panel vibrations. This is how most of the well known products, like Dynamat, Fatmat, Noico, Hushmat etc. Work.

I hadn't heard of this Carozzeria product, but some sources describe it as a foam. If it really is a foam layer, it wouldn't likely have much true damping effect.

Ef

Carrozeria is a stick-on high density rubbery mat about 3mm thick, not foam. The cohesive effect on doors is stunning

Screenshot 2020-07-27 at 08.51.22.png

Edited by Geko
10 hours ago, stuart said:

Seemingly unavailable here. I use these all the time Sound deadening pads

They work well.

Stuart.

Tonys TR6 504.jpg

I know you've said it before Stuart, but remind me, how many of that size of pack do you need for a 4a? Do you use this under the bonnet, or do you use a heat resistant type instead?

Best Regards

David

Theres 10 sheets in a pack so usually use about 2 packs, I dont fit them under the bonnet as you dont really want to enclose the heat in there.

Stuart.

Tonys TR6 503.jpg

4 hours ago, stuart said:

Theres 10 sheets in a pack so usually use about 2 packs, I dont fit them under the bonnet as you dont really want to enclose the heat in there.

Stuart.

Tonys TR6 503.jpg

I’ve used these after Stuarts recommendations a while back. Excellent product, warm them up slightly makes them even easier to apply. 

Thank you to all, especially that amazing EdH site in Nebraska; that's one hell of a library of information!  It has both given me information and confused me as there are so many products available but looking at EdH's, it might be a mixture of multi-coloured felt and the DoDo mat.    Philip