Does anyone have any ideas where to obtain telescopic shockers for the rear conversion from Armstrongs on a TR5? My old shocks were Gaz, but one is worn out and the other leaking.

I put a pair of Spax on yesterday. They came off again today as they were appalling. I thought they were going to fracture the trailing arms they were that fierce, even on softest setting.

I took my mate out in the car to get his opinion and after 200 yards, he said 'Turn round'.

I'm looking for something along the lines of a standard shocker, but finding any with treaded top and bottom seem to be difficult to find. I might have to modify some.

Thanks for any clues.

Dave.

Dear Ed,

The car had the conversion on when I bought it, but going back to the original is high on the agenda as I have never liked the feel of this particlar conversion. I have no idea if they are all the same, but this feels shocking. (No pun intended).

Thank you for your comment.

Dave.

Dave do yourself and the car a favour, go back to lever arms. A lot of us have been down that route in NLG and gone back to lever arms. Stevenson are still rebuilding them and I hope his successor carries on when he retires. Pot holes are killing trailing arm mounts(if the tubular shocks are the wrong ones) .Many people are happy with these but NLG prefer the lever arms

(not all in NLG, personal preference of course)

Regards Harry

Your other option is to send them back to Gaz they will refurb/repair them or they did when I sent them mine a few years back.

Andy

Koni Red Classic are much more compliant, I had spax on my cars rear end conversion and also found them too hard.

The Koni are a much better choice and I’m very happy with the ride and how the car handles now, sporty but not uncomfortable.

Mike

I also have Konis which came with the original conversion kit some years and miles ago and are still fine. If purchasing replacement shocks be sure they  not only have the same fixings but the same dimensions. If the suspension bottoms out on the shock instead of allowing the spring to compress  and it to eventually hit the bump stop this could snap the swinging arm.

Chris

My 4A IRS came with a Koni conversion, I've never been pleased with it and went back to original leaver from Peter (?) from the USA.

I'm very pleased with them but you have to know to refill some oil from time to time, as told by the manual.

Don't worry about to loose some oil in a pre 80-ies car