A tow-bar fitting one would probably be best, I've carried lots of stuff on my boot rack but I think a bike would be pushing it, 2 bikes (unless they are kiddies bikes) no chance, I've also got a MG ZTT and the bikes overhang the width of that, so on a TR your likely to get half a wheel hanging out each side.

Bike rack? ... I've got a very simple one from Pendal, just 2 removable curved bars fitting into a double socket bolted to the tow-bar, will carry 3 bikes and strong as an ox.

Cheers Rob  

I use a tow-bar mounted one. The boot hinges wouldn't be man enough for anything attached to the boot, in my opinion.

You'll likely want additional lights as two bikes obscure them across the back, so you'll be needing the tow socket too.

Jerry

Jase, I got dents & scratches on the boot lid of my Dolomite years ago from one of those strap-on types. I now use a tow bar mounted bike rack. Even then, you will find the bikes move around in your rear view mirror - most alarming! They will be stabilised somewhat with tie straps (kept from old carrier) from the bike extremities to the body tub - preferably not the boot lid as shown. Something like this on my old Spit.

watling_on_old_spit.jpg

Cheers, Richard

Just thought - there are two types of towbar bike rack. One clamps onto the ball (clean grease off first!), the other mounts between the ball and the bar. The second type is a block which is permanently fitted and usually two bars which are inserted when you need the bike rack. Of course this cannot be fitted to a swan-neck type towbar, but I think the installations for our cars are all the conventional type.

I initially wanted the mount-between type of bike rack as it seemed a more secure concept. However, I could not find one with European certification so a went for a clamp-on-ball type by Thule which does. In practice it seems very secure and also fits my modern with a swan-neck towbar. Hope this is useful.

Cheers, Richard

On 7/27/2020 at 1:41 PM, Spit_2.5PI said:

Jase, I got dents & scratches on the boot lid of my Dolomite years ago from one of those strap-on types. I now use a tow bar mounted bike rack. Even then, you will find the bikes move around in your rear view mirror - most alarming! They will be stabilised somewhat with tie straps (kept from old carrier) from the bike extremities to the body tub - preferably not the boot lid as shown. Something like this on my old Spit.

watling_on_old_spit.jpg

Cheers, Richard

How much does that weight distribution affect the handling?

Pete

16 hours ago, stillp said:

How much does that weight distribution affect the handling?

Not much Pete. My old Blue Spit was a bit saggy at the back but I don't recall it affecting the handling. Of course, with our other pride & joy x2 on the back we are hardly going to be taking the corners enthusiastically. Remember I said you can see the bikes moving in your rear mirror? Another thing is that it was a 6-cylinder Spit so perhaps better weight distribution?

Cheers, Richard

13 minutes ago, Spit_2.5PI said:

Not much Pete. My old Blue Spit was a bit saggy at the back but I don't recall it affecting the handling. Of course, with our other pride & joy x2 on the back we are hardly going to be taking the corners enthusiastically. Remember I said you can see the bikes moving in your rear mirror? Another thing is that it was a 6-cylinder Spit so perhaps better weight distribution?

Cheers, Richard

Although I guess you could fit a roof rack with the hardtop on a spit?

Well, one could I suppose. I don't like roof rack bike carriers, partly because of the wind noise right above your head (have you ever been on the top deck of a 747?) and partly the risk of forgetting about the headroom e.g. when you go into a car park. A friend did that with his bike on the roof rack of his Beemer. He was devastated about his bike!

Cheers, Richard