Pete Green RIP

I was going to post yesterday  when I heard that Pete Green passed away at the age of 73.

Young in years but his body had been wrecked many years ago.

A beautiful musician that could make the strings talk.

He will not be missed as he disappeared many years ago,  He surfaced for a short while  in the late 90's but was gone again.

Roger

He has to be amongst the greatest musicians of our time and my favourite.

The last time I saw him play was 11 years ago at the old fire station in Windsor on his last tour outing " Peter Green and Friends", the venue was small and intimate and the audience transfixed.  Even then he was an amazing musician but the man had gone . At the time Daughter worked there and the staff were told to keep everyone away from him , he just sat in his own world at the stage entrance but when he picked up his guitar he was transformed non of the old magic had gone. An occasion I shall never forget.

More dates were planed for 2010 but apparently he retreated back into his own world completely. 

The words Rest In Peace will never be more true than for Peter Green

Brian

Saw him play on a few occasions - with Fleetwood Mac in the late 60's, early 70's at the Toby Jug in Tolworth, then in the 90's with his "new" band at Dorking Halls.

he could still play well then, but was not the lead guitarist.

I have the Fleetwood Mac album "Greatest hits" which has all the old numbers on it - Albatross, ma of the world, Oh well etc.

Bob.

3 hours ago, RogerH said:

I was going to post yesterday  when I heard that Pete Green passed away at the age of 73.

Young in years but his body had been wrecked many years ago.

A beautiful musician that could make the strings talk.

He will not be missed as he disappeared many years ago,  He surfaced for a short while  in the late 90's but was gone again.

Roger

Roger

Those of us who appreciate his music will miss him

Will his death be on the BBC/ITN news, I doubt it

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

Saw him play on a few occasions - with Fleetwood Mac in the late 60's, early 70's at the Toby Jug in Tolworth, then in the 90's with his "new" band at Dorking Halls.

he could still play well then, but was not the lead guitarist.

I have the Fleetwood Mac album "Greatest hits" which has all the old numbers on it - Albatross, ma of the world, Oh well etc.

Bob.

Don't forget Green Manalishi Bob :)

2 hours ago, brian -r said:

He has to be amongst the greatest musicians of our time and my favourite.

The last time I saw him play was 11 years ago at the old fire station in Windsor on his last tour outing " Peter Green and Friends", the venue was small and intimate and the audience transfixed.  Even then he was an amazing musician but the man had gone . At the time Daughter worked there and the staff were told to keep everyone away from him , he just sat in his own world at the stage entrance but when he picked up his guitar he was transformed non of the old magic had gone. An occasion I shall never forget.

More dates were planed for 2010 but apparently he retreated back into his own world completely. 

The words Rest In Peace will never be more true than for Peter Green

Brian

We also saw him at The old fire station Windsor, most likely on the same night as you, we had front row seats. Do you remember some daft bat setting fire to her handbag before going into the auditorium?

:o:ph34r::blink::rolleyes:

Edited by SuzanneH
1 hour ago, brian -r said:

Hi Sue

I can't remember that but most of the time before the concert we were outback in the car park with daughters friends who were giving the " old man's" sports car a once over.

Bri

:D

2 hours ago, wjgco said:

Will his death be on the BBC/ITN news, I doubt it

It made the 10 o'clock news on BBC 1 last evening. A sad passing as he was a superb musician but long gone.

Mick

2 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

It made the 10 o'clock news on BBC 1 last evening. A sad passing as he was a superb musician but long gone.

Mick

Another one gone...same sort of thing happened to Syd Barrett .

53 minutes ago, Crawfie said:

Another one gone...same sort of thing happened to Syd Barrett .

And the same with  Ginger Baker last year.

Maybe we are all just silly old people , being nostalgic.

Maybe we don't apreciate modern music for what it is.

But any kid with a laptop in his bedroom can make "Music" today.

Very few people can create the magic of the 1960's

5 hours ago, SuzanneH said:

We also saw him at The old fire station Windsor, most likely on the same night as you, we had front row seats. Do you remember some daft bat setting fire to her handbag before going into the auditorium?

What better place to set fire to your handbag than an old fire station?

(Actually...I suppose a "New" fire station would be better.)

Charlie.

23 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

And the same with  Ginger Baker last year.

Maybe we are all just silly old people , being nostalgic.

Maybe we don't apreciate modern music for what it is.

Charlie.

Charlie,

i stopped trying the get modern music in the 80s !!

My era was the 70s . I gave tried to listen to other music , but I keep on listening to the stuff I grew up with.

40 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

Charlie.

Charlie, that’s exactly what I thought at the time it was embarrassing but how daft having T lights on the tables in the bar/ cafe area.

I did exactly the same in a pub in The Lakes when someone took a T light off of the table and relocated it to a windowsill where it caught a curtain and my handbag on fire.

:wub:

15 hours ago, SuzanneH said:

how daft having T lights on the tables

I think Arthur Brown had a close encounter with a T light before he went on stage for TOTP, back in 1968 .
(What would the BBC Health and Saftey have to say about that today?)

Charlie

17 hours ago, Charlie D said:

To be fair, Charlie, any kid with a 5 quid guitar in his or her bedroom could create "music" in the 1960's but very few created the magic. 

I don't think it's the technology, it's the creativity, talent and skill. 

Tim

4 hours ago, TorontoTim said:

any kid with a 5 quid guitar in his or her bedroom could create "music"

Tim,

While I agree with your sentiments I know from experience that “any kid with a 5 quid guitar in his or her bedroom could create music" is not 100% true.

In my case it was a flute.

What could be easier than playing the flute?

All you had to do with a flute was blow over a hole in the side of a piece of pipe and press a few buttons up and down.

So I bought a £20 flute.

(My aim was to make a fortune busking in the subways of Paris. It was during my “Bohemian” period.)

Unfortunately, every time I blew, I blacked out.

I never could get the breathing right.

Eventually I gave up.

Maybe, I should have tried the guitar instead.

Charlie.

Hi Charlie,

I had an idea to become a half decent sax player. So I liberated my lads sax from under his bed gave it a few blows and gave up. 

I couldn't get a single note out pf it.

How do these people do it.

Roger

5 hours ago, Charlie D said:

I think Arthur Brown had a close encounter with a T light before he went on stage for TOTP, back in 1968 .
(What would the BBC Health and Saftey have to say about that today?)

Charlie

Charlie. I’m not sure if it was 1961 or 1963 that Screaming Lord Sutch scared the bejesus out of me when he jumped down from a very high stage having been swinging his long greasy/ wet hair round and round above a flaming shallow bowl and nearly landed in my lap. He then went charging down the isle between the audience dressed in all black and a long cloak, this took place in Botwell School playground here in Hayes, Middlesex and was, I believe, the very first ever all day/ weekend music festival In this country. This was organised by an American Priest to raise funds to build our RC Church.

Edited by SuzanneH
1 hour ago, Charlie D said:

Tim,

While I agree with your sentiments I know from experience that “any kid with a 5 quid guitar in his or her bedroom could create music" is not 100% true.

In my case it was a flute.

What could be easier than playing the flute?

All you had to do with a flute was blow over a hole in the side of a piece of pipe and press a few buttons up and down.

So I bought a £20 flute.

(My aim was to make a fortune busking in the subways of Paris. It was during my “Bohemian” period.)

Unfortunately, every time I blew, I blacked out.

I never could get the breathing right.

Eventually I gave up.

Maybe, I should have tried the guitar instead.

Charlie.

That was kind of my point, Charlie - most kids with laptops can't actually create music either - although whether they also black out or not I couldn't say...

Apologies for being obscure.

Saw the crazy world of Arthur Brown at the Hastings football ground , a one day event organised by one of the pirate radio stations . Having never heard of him it was quite a shock.

The head line act was the Kinks who drove into the ground in 2 new lotus cortina mk 1's.  Car envy even then.

It was an early flower power thing.  Still have the beads.      man

ROY