Forum Likes/Dislikes

On 7/31/2020 at 12:05 AM, Andrew Smith said:

Although it may be perceived by some, there should be no hierarchy on this forum based on either knowledge or time served as a TRR/forum member and to suggest otherwise is completely wrong, whether implied or otherwise. There are many opinions on a variety of subject matter, but newer members soon get to know forum personalities and where individual strengths lay.

This is true Andrew, there shouldn’t be a hierarchy on the forum, I’m not sure that isn’t the case.though. There are certainly members who are more prominent, so that could give that impression to some, especially with the apparent pockets of forum friendships that have built up over time. 

The Technical area appears to have a wider section of members Viewing and Posting. Sometimes there are many different views as suggested solution to a problem, perhaps thats why ChrisR4a has built up an opinion to whom he can rely on. If those members have subsequently got a high like ranking/profile is why he has reasonably formed that opinion whether right or wrong, that an opinion even if it’s not one others wish to support.

Just a suggestion 

12 hours ago, Misfit said:

This is true Andrew, there shouldn’t be a hierarchy on the forum, I’m not sure that isn’t the case.though. There are certainly members who are more prominent, so that could give that impression to some, especially with the apparent pockets of forum friendships that have built up over time. 

The Technical area appears to have a wider section of members Viewing and Posting. Sometimes there are many different views as suggested solution to a problem, perhaps thats why ChrisR4a has built up an opinion to whom he can rely on. If those members have subsequently got a high like ranking/profile is why he has reasonably formed that opinion whether right or wrong, that an opinion even if it’s not one others wish to support.

Just a suggestion 

The problem with the Likes button is that it was not solely associated with technical advice.  I, like many others I'm sure, had noticed some members trying desperately (for some reason?) to increase their number of posts by posting inane topics and comments e.g. stupid jokes, childish threads etc, very few of which (if any) had technical content or offered meaningful advice and getting 'Likes', all which tallied up - this did not mean they were particularly technically competent, but could be interpreted as being so.

Cheers, Andrew

I agree with Andrew's comments.

Any additional feature can be used and abused.

If left to the bare bones then you have to take it or leave for what it is.

There is nothing to stop you posting a text 'like or dislike'

Roger

As I've said before I would like to see the Like function return, but without the anonymity.

The issues with full size "Like" or "+1" posts are a) they make a thread unnecessarily much longer, and b) when looking through the Unread post listing - I like to see the last post. On this one for example I could see the first few lines of what Roger had typed and so was interested to open it and read further. "Like" or "+1" posts mean that all I would see is that "Like" which gives me no insight to the threads latest "real" contribution.

It would be useful if there were a simple method of indicating a contributors worth.

Similar to the like button, but a scale, e.g. 1 to 10, upon which we could rate the helpfulness of a post

It would, however, need to be limited to the technical sections.

This way, we could get a real view on who has and can, offer real help.

2 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

The problem with the Likes button is that it was not solely associated with technical advice.  I, like many others I'm sure, had noticed some members trying desperately (for some reason?) to increase their number of posts by posting inane topics and comments e.g. stupid jokes, childish threads etc, very few of which (if any) had technical content or offered meaningful advice and getting 'Likes', all which tallied up - this did not mean they were particularly technically competent, but could be interpreted as being so.

Cheers, Andrew

I not sure Members desperately posted jokes or inane topics Just to increase numbers, it would be sad if that was the case. However if members decided to indicate their enjoyment at a particular post surely that’s their choice,  sometimes we all like light hearted material at times. Although I think much of the likes and dislikes were during other perhaps controversial treads posted on Alex Inn and now the social scene rather than the more childish thread. I accept to assume members with a high like score is one providing good technical advice is perhaps unwise in that case. But then again I have heard on more than one occasion why do we need controversial threads at all, it’s a car club. Keep it car/club related. Replies not necessary.

I personally like the this approach on here perhaps something different for the Technical 

78485666-5048-41A0-A4DE-C699A0CFA1EF.png

Edited by Misfit
7 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

Cheers, Andrew

Andrew .... I am really trying to keep this post polite, but I'm finding it very hard ......

I really find your post quite patronising and insulting to forum members who are not " TR experts" .

I have a really stressful job and the so called inane , stupid jokes( as you so nicely put it) me laugh and unwind.

It is arrogant comments like yours ......

There are obviously others who think the same . 

Well I think it's time to leave the forum . 

It's been nice knowing you (well some of you )

Steve 

update

I have read the comments made after my post and have received pms on the matter . I appreciate the apology from Andrew and although asked to re read his post, to me it still comes across as  ....well let’s leave it that !!

i suppose I took Andrews post a bit personal . I don’t post on technical stuff because my 6 is still an unknown entity to me . I can do basic stuff ,but I choose to let Stuart look  after my car . I post a lot on Alecs area because it is fun and I have found like minded people . There are I suspect a lot more “non expert tr.  owners “ on this forum. 
if I got the hump about that post, others would as well. 

If this doesn’t read right,  it’s because I’m writing on my I phone , sitting in my 6 in the shade at Tesco in crediton . 
In other words , my finger is to big for the keyboard !!

Edited by Crawfie
Update

I was "Excellent" ....but not Technical.    If I said something constructive that members agreed with, then it was nice to be "liked". It all seemed harmless and made you smile if you collected another like.    However, I am sure we don't need Gold Stars or Brownie Points ......so, John, you are were right to cull this practice (probably) !   I know anonimity was main issue.

Keep smiling, at a social distance.

Chris. :D

2 hours ago, Crawfie said:

Andrew .... I am really trying to keep this post polite, but I'm finding it very hard ......

I really find your post quite patronising and insulting to forum members who are not " TR experts" .

I have a really stressful job and the so called inane , stupid jokes( as you so nicely put it) me laugh and unwind.

Steve 

I’m afraid that whether anybody is in the right or wrong there are too many occasions when these “ harmless threads”  aren’t.
Every example such as this highlights why there is still an “ anti forum” feeling on the management committee, and this is talking about the whys and wherefores of having ( or not) a like/ dislike button !
C’mn guys it’s not something to be having a disagreement about.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
1 hour ago, Crawfie said:

Steve 

Steve,

I’m glad you were able to keep your riposte polite and I’m equally glad you felt able to fire off both barrels, or at least express your opinion.  I’m an advocate for free and frank speech, not unlike Alec in that regard; although he was much blunter and far more eloquent a Wordsmith than I could ever wish to be.

I apologise if you and others felt patronised by my post and felt it arrogant, that was not the intent.  Maybe if you reread it after the red mist has settled you may see the key point of what I was conveying.

You are not alone in having a really stressful job and feel the need to unwind on the forum and I hope you continue to do so . 

Regards, Andrew

Were now three weeks in and on page 3 with no sign of any of the lovely ladies, nor any sign of a real consensus of opinion.

This thread is starting to go round in circles a bit like the Monty Python argument sketch . This is Social Scene a place to be sociable and have a bit of fun, the thumbs have been dispatched and lost in space and until one of you clever guy's can develop an intergalactic TR looks like that's where they will reside.

Maybe time to close the door on this thread?

Bri

On 8/8/2020 at 9:57 AM, wjgco said:

Similar to the like button, but a scale, e.g. 1 to 10, upon which we could rate the helpfulness of a post

Providing individuals don’t take it personally, wouldn’t this work as a indicator to the quality of the Individuals advice. I believe it has been used elsewhere for hotels, restaurants and other businesses but only available on the technical section. An alternative there could Just be a follow up button (it worked) :).

It’s not about whether you are liked or being rated just an indication as whether the advice was successful? That would be helpful to those looking for a solution to a problem showing how many times it worked.

Edited by Misfit
3 hours ago, foster461 said:

Yikes, I'm days behind with this one.

Stan John was saying ( “it would be useful if there were a simple method of indicating a contributors worth”.) I think that’s because some members feel we need one following recent events. 

Of course Stan, we don’t have to find a solution that would assist other member to identifying those with a better Knowledge of a particular vehicle or part than perhaps others may have.

We could just continue with some juvenile or sarcastic comments that has no real value to a thread or assists anyone in anyway. Perhaps just closing a thread here is the correct solution and we should not concern our selves of those who feel they would like some method.

There are areas where we can just have banter with the occasional serious posts but perhaps the technical is not one.

Edited by Misfit
27 minutes ago, stillp said:

Are you allowed to say that these days? ;)

Pete

I typed something similar earlier today, then thought better of it !!

Bob.