Forum Likes/Dislikes

Hi Folks,

calm down. It is like Brexit all over again.

A number of posters have complained that they disagree with the decision.

But can' they see that their post is a text thumbs down. Well done.  keep on posting good, bad or indifferent.  

As for only having  a 'thumbs up' then you will lose those posters that wanted do a 'thumbs down' as they will feel victimised.

Get on with it. Nobody said life was fair.

Roger

I must admit I quite liked the like/dislike feature, only thing I would have changed would have been to show both up and down votes rather than a simple running total against each post, but its gone, not going to stress over it, its a car club web forum after all not something setting out UK domestic policy ......................

For what it's worth I found the like button useful, but did not understand the anonymity.

Having asked for assistance on this form on a number of occasions I have appreciated people taking the time to respond. Sometimes the responses are deserving of an actual reply but occasionally you just want to show that you appreciate the response. The 'thumbs up' achieved that without creating the clutter you can now see in this thread.

But as others have said, it's no big deal.

Like.jpg

Put me down for: I miss the feature.

I liked the reputation aspect, and prefer to not see +1 in the thread.

Gareth

Certainly the "like" function is a feature of many if not all other forums I frequent, but it isn't anonymous. A simple "like" expresses agreement without making the thread longer and unwieldy with another full size post. I would like (!) to see the functionality return, without the anonymity if that is possible.

Rod

50 minutes ago, Rod1883 said:

Certainly the "like" function is a feature of many if not all other forums I frequent, but it isn't anonymous. A simple "like" expresses agreement without making the thread longer and unwieldy with another full size post. I would like (!) to see the functionality return, without the anonymity if that is possible.

Rod

RG Like.png

It would appear that I have stirred up a hornets nest here.

I believe that all this started when I asked (as a new moderator) why my 'reputation' was stuck at 190.

Sue very helpfully pointed out that as a mod, I had no like/dislike button on my posts and it was these that affected the reputation.

I then wondered (in a post) why this was.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the ensuing mayhem, it was not intended, honestly.

As I have stated elswhere, I very rarely used the 'like/dislike' facility.

I also feel that, this sort of facility should not be anonymous ( just my opinion)

For those who are claiming that, and I quote; a vocal minority, have been at work, can I ask for the data they have obviously garnered,  proving that the change was the result of the influence of a minority of the forum users, it would make interesting reading.

As far as I am aware, the change was not the work of a vocal minority, but, it was done without reference to the forum users.

It is not the first time change has happened overnight, without reference and it will not the last.

Do I approve of the change?

Did I want change?

I have no opinion.  It is of little concern to me.  If I want to say something on the forum, I put my name to it and like now, will take the ensuing flak.

John

This is clearly a bad move as far as new forum members are concerned. For those of us who have been on here for some time we know all the regular posters and their approx reputation score. Generally this score is taken as an indication as to the reliability of opinions an technical advice given by that  member. Some advice often from low ranked contributors can be of doubtfull technical verification and may just be a personal opinion which could cause problems for the uninitiated. New members seeking help will now not have a clue as to what they reading is good advice or not based on the reputation of the poster.

Posts risk becoming a slanging match between those with a solid background and sound knowledge and those with their own likes and fancies. 

Chris

WHAT !!!

"Some advice often from low ranked contributors can be of doubtfull".

I am sure this comment was not intended as it sounded. But this is a good example of needing to think before you press the send button.

As a low ranked and recently returned member I would just like to point out that in the 1980s / 1990s I was a very active member of the Register, before it had a forum. With little external support I did a ground up restoration of a 1970 TR6 and for a time was TR6 registrar. Now after 30 years I am learning all over again and appreciate the excellent help I am being given by others.

But please don't judge me on the basis of some arbitrary score and personal feeling of superiority.

1 hour ago, ChrisR-4A said:

Posts risk becoming a slanging match between those with a solid background and sound knowledge and those with their own likes and fancies. 

Not while we have the mods we have in place now.

John.

1 hour ago, ChrisR-4A said:

This is clearly a bad move as far as new forum members are concerned. For those of us who have been on here for some time we know all the regular posters and their approx reputation score. Generally this score is taken as an indication as to the reliability of opinions an technical advice given by that  member. Some advice often from low ranked contributors can be of doubtfull technical verification and may just be a personal opinion which could cause problems for the uninitiated. New members seeking help will now not have a clue as to what they reading is good advice or not based on the reputation of the poster.

Chris

Although it may be perceived by some, there should be no hierarchy on this forum based on either knowledge or time served as a TRR/forum member and to suggest otherwise is completely wrong, whether implied or otherwise. There are many opinions on a variety of subject matter, but newer members soon get to know forum personalities and where individual strengths lay.

If there was still was a thumbs down facility I'm afraid you would have received my very first one, it would however have been accompanied by my response above.

Andrew

I understand where Chris is coming from.

For every question there could be many answers.  Not all right not all wrong. But there are many ways of skinning a cat (are we allowed to skin cats on this forum)!!!

How would a complete novice know what is the best/better advice.  Quite simply he would choose the answer that suits him and learn by that experience - good or bad.

Richard's answer is a good reply defending those that have don;t it and got the T short but their skills may need honing to bring them up to date.

Andrew's answer hits the nail on the head - an old cat skinner.

I'm pretty good on the 4/4A and general engineering but let me loose on a TR6 and I'm soon out of my depth. Thankfully I have an army of folk to tell me what a twit I am. 

Roger

I never knew it existed, I made my own calibration in the technical forums of whose advice to follow.

Mick

Edited by Mick Forey
9 hours ago, RogerH said:

I'm pretty good on the 4/4A and general engineering but let me loose on a TR6 and I'm soon out of my depth. Thankfully I have an army of folk to tell me what a twit I am. 

Roger

Roger

The TR6 is the same as the 4, it just has 2 more cylinders

It's still just suck, squeeze, bang, blow.  You know it makes sense. :D:D

OK, the fuel delivery system is a bit different, but, as one of those who owned a PI, I can say that many owner of these cars are not really able to get them set up properly.

I tried, but ended up letting Clive Manvers do the job properly.

Many things, you may be, but, twit, you are not.

13 hours ago, wjgco said:

Roger

The TR6 is the same as the 4, it just has 2 more cylinders

It's still just suck, squeeze, bang, blow.  You know it makes sense. :D:D

OK, the fuel delivery system is a bit different, but, as one of those who owned a PI, I can say that many owner of these cars are not really able to get them set up properly.

I tried, but ended up letting Clive Manvers do the job properly.

Many things, you may be, but, twit, you are not.

Mine is a little rich, like you I have tried setting it up but I haven’t quite got it right. I will take it to Neil in the autumn.  

Edited by Misfit
Removed some content