Forum Likes/Dislikes

Following the discussion on our forum,

concerning the pros and cons of the Thumbs up/Down Facility,

and especially the anonimity factor,

This facility has been removed.

You are invited to comment in positive and negative ways in

standard posts, from now on.

Do not forget that emoji's can 'Say' much.

John.

Clearly I missed that conversation.

I never liked the anonimity but I relied on the Likes (or otherwise) as feedback to see if anyone was enjoying reading / following (or otherwise) what I was writing about.  And I very often Liked a photo shared, question or advice somebody had posted, a joke or whatever ..but otherwise I had nothing useful to contribute.  

Social isolation is pandemic in its own right.  And a forum without feedback is just taking that one step too far.  I know it will discourage me from sharing rather than interaction.

I'm very sorry to see it go this way.

Pete.

Edited by Bfg
45 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Following the discussion on our forum,

concerning the pros and cons of the Thumbs up/Down Facility,

and especially the anonimity factor,

This facility has been removed.

You are invited to comment in positive and negative ways in

standard posts, from now on.

Do not forget that emoji's can 'Say' much.

John.

Nice one good for one and all John:)

6 minutes ago, ntc said:

Nice one good for one and all John:)

:wub::D:D delighted! Well done!

I was up to 69, but this is even better. Pete, It also encourages to put it into words, whatever it is.

On 7/25/2020 at 10:19 PM, DavidBee said:

:wub::D:D delighted! Well done!

I was up to 69, but this is even better. Pete, It also encourages to put it into words, whatever it is.

Dave I think you are wrong, I am aware people no longer Intend to post, in fear of a unpleasant response so you will no longer get any type of reaction from them at all. Which when you really look at it, it was in the main A far greater Proportion of The Positive thumbs up.

m

Edited by Misfit

Very unhappy that this thumbs up has been removed. I used it quite a lot. 

it also seems to feed into the forum users reputation score which I also enjoyed seeing especially as mine was over 430 I think.

the system was floored as it didn’t show the smile face or the laughing face separately which lost the context.

if I recall correctly it was the anon thumbs down that was causing the angst as it didnt show reason for the dislike.

so just lock off this aspect and please leave us the positive likes for posts.

Don’t shut something down on the basis of a vocal minority.

please just reinstate the “likes” thumbs up if nothing else.

considering my future involvement 

Disappointed Hamish of Cheshire

5 minutes ago, Hamish said:

+1 H.  Thumbs up.

Three members have a grumble, and somehow that's a "discussion"? 

Try putting it to the vote next time John.

Didn't think I'd see cancel culture here on the TR forum too. Very disappointed. 

If that''s the way we're headed, I too will be considering my future involvement.

Deggers

Indeed, a vote/poll would have been a sensible way to gauge a broad range of opinion..... but hey, it is hardly the end Of the world - just as having the options wasn’t a biggie either.

........ Andy 

First of all the original thread  was “what’s in a name“, with reference master and slave cylinders and how much more appropriate in this day and age the German equipment was. He removed that due to comments clearly, nothing said there no issue.

Then forum etiquette, when it was put to members why can’t monitors have likes and dislikes.

It wasn’t a grumble or a dispute in a dustbin or malice intended, it started off why shouldn’t they, now nobody has them. What’s the problem with dislikes, so what if you get the odd disapproval of a particular post or comment you have made. 

Provided it’s not offensive and I have had a few of those including why don’t you stick you head up you own backside, and they didn’t use backside, even Verbally phoned and told to F off, which I am sure some of you would whole heartedly support just now.

It’s not life threatening getting a dislike, there were far more likes and like Hamish even I had a great deal more likes than dislikes fortunately . 
If I am considered to be part that minority that brought about this removal then I am sorry it was not ever my intention just return it, but actually it’s the moderator that did that, 
I just wanted the moderators to enjoy the same as everyone else as suggested by Bob right back early in the tread. 

All this nonsense about the grown up thing to do. have you seem some of the treads on our forum, with all that’s going on in the world you are concerned about a anonymous dislike, please. 
m

Edited by Misfit

Having just caught up with the overnight posts (I go to bed early !!!) I am happy to go back to the +1 response in a replying post. it means "I agree" rather than "I like this"

So happy to loose the "like" button.

Bob.

+1.  I don't see that we have lost much. 

While the up/down votes might be relevant in the social discussion type threads, they don't help on the technical ones where it is information and not sentiment that counts. If someone agrees or disagrees strongly enough to respond to information given, it is much better to say why rather than just vote. A mere thumbs down could mean anything from "the gen is duff" to "I don't like your grammar".

As for the reputation score thing -  again that can merely reflect how many posts you have made rather than their general helpfulness. Someone who makes few but generally excellent contributions would only accumulate a low score, so what is the use of that? 

If we have to rely on the “+1” way of showing appreciation, can there be some change made to the length of space allowed for the “Cars that I have owned” section under a person’s name.

I find it frustrating that when someone puts a simple one-line reply, I then have to scroll down half a page to get to the next post, just to get past what is more like “This is my life” rather than “Cars that I have owned”.

My personal view on the  “Likes” and “Dislikes” would be to keep the “Likes”.

If someone “Dislikes” something they can always put a “-1” .

Charlie.

On 7/26/2020 at 9:10 AM, RobH said:

As for the reputation score thing -  again that can merely reflect how many posts you have made rather than their general helpfulness. Someone who makes few but generally excellent contributions would only accumulate a low score, so what is the use of that? 

True to a point.

m

Edited by Misfit
9 hours ago, DavidBee said:

but this is even better. Pete, It also encourages to put it into words, whatever it is.

Sorry David it does not, well not at least to my way of thinking.  Often a glint in the eye in support or approval of when done someone has done well - says a whole lot more than words. And that's a ' Like '.   At such times ; words and sentences are often intrusive to the moment and too clumsy.  In my opinion they,  and with respect.. 38 lines of 'location and 'cars owned' in the side margin or footer, only loose the original post in the folds of many pages. 

I do try to conduct myself, even in here in cyberspace - in a manner which is only ever supportive, encouraging, positive, helpful  &/or constructive. It is a matter of integrity and personal conduct. And that thoughtfulness ought to include when I Like or Dislike someone else's post.  I might not wholly agree with an opinion or their humour ..but that is not at all the same as speaking out. 

To my mind, the Like / Dislike / Laugh with / and Thank You that is used on almost every website forum is the equivalent of facial expressions and the murmurings of those present.  If someone shows me something I like, am impressed with, or I agree with and support - then my eyes and face reflect a Like or a smile, and perhaps I and others in the room quietly murmur "excellent, that's great - well done, here here".  And if a comment or photo reflects someone's misfortune then my facial expression reflects empathy and support.  Conversely, if something is going the wrong direction, incorrect &/or offensive then I do speak out - to try and present a counter point of view ..because in my opinion that is the right thing to do. But I don't come here to bicker. 

Come to think of it,  I have only once or twice (ever) clicked on the Dislike when I disagreed with the opinion shared. And that was on the TSSC forum in a thread I started. However I followed this up by immediately write a PM to those persons - not to throw abuse, but to express how their comments had personally offended and upset me, and how negative they were.  One of those persons took uppence with me, whereas two others apologized.  But on the whole it was done in private messages where others would not butt-in,  so very soon the issues blew away ..without it necessitating moderation or a change to the very format of the website. 

Pete.

1 hour ago, Hamish said:

it also seems to feed into the forum users reputation score which I also enjoyed seeing especially as mine was over 430 I think.

the system was floored as it didn’t show the smile face or the laughing face separately which lost the context.

if I recall correctly it was the anon thumbs down that was causing the angst as it didnt show reason for the dislike.

so just lock off this aspect and please leave us the positive likes for posts.

Don’t shut something down on the basis of a vocal minority.

please just reinstate the “likes” thumbs up if nothing else.

considering my future involvement 

3 hours ago, Derek Hurford said:

Dave I think you are wrong, I am aware people no longer Intend to post, in fear of a unpleasant response so you will no longer get any type of reaction from them at all. Which when you really look at it, it was in the main A far greater Proportion of The Positive thumbs up.

1 hour ago, Deggers said:

+1 H.  Thumbs up.

Three members have a grumble, and somehow that's a "discussion"? 

Try putting it to the vote next time John.

Didn't think I'd see cancel culture here on the TR forum too. Very disappointed. 

If that''s the way we're headed, I too will be considering my future involvement.

Deggers