Shouldn't the wheels actually go round? Help!

Hi all, hope you are keeping safe and well.

The rear bake adjusters were seized on my 1973 TR6 so I assumed that was what was causing the wheels to bind-very stiff, almost as if the brakes were on constantly. Having spent a few happy hours freeing off the adjusters I find the wheels are still really stiff, even with the brakes definitely off. I ran it in gear on the axle stands to see if it would improve, but no. The diff was rebuilt properly some years ago, I don't suspect it of mischief. The car has CV driveshafts-might they be causing the issue? The hub nut on them is set at 215 lb/f as per instructions. Anyone had this before? All advice gratefully received!

Phil

Edited by Phil Pope

OK, in case it's helpful to others and risking looking daft...I think the wheels spin freely when the suspension is not hanging-raising the hub to a position more like it would be in when not jacked up, but rather on the road, allows free movement-must be a CV thing!

Could also be a stuck rear wheel brake cyl. It will not retract when seized. Remove wheel, rear drum, and ask 2nd person to SLOWLY  Press the brake pedal just a bit, the shoes should move (one of them probably). If it does not retract when the pedal is released, it is like the cylinder or an old rear brake hose that is swallowed (aged), not letting oil return. 
Symptom on one or two sides?

Waldi

Sounds like CV joints binding on full droop. Are you using lever arms or telescopic dampers?  If they’re telescopic they might have excessive rebound travel.