Blinking Indicators or not?

Hi Fellow Members

I'm in the process of sticking everything back together again on my 1976 USA imported lhd TR6 and been having a few problems with the electrics. Fortunately, I seem to have solved most of them but am now left with one that has got me totally frustrated.

As indicated in the title it involves the indicators. When I indicate left I get the rear and side indicators coming on but instead of the front indicator I get the side light. When I indicate right I get just the side and rear indicators lighting up. When I try the Hazard lights I get one ping from the relay and then not much else. None of the indicators are flashing.

One clue is that under the dash I have located a green/red (could be green/brown but is so similar to the front left indicator I think it must be green/red) wire with a connector. Currently it is not connected to anything and I have a suspicion this might be the root of the problem (or at least part of it). Tracing it back it comes through the middle lower part of the bulkhead together with a green/white cable that goes to the heater switch. Not idea where it goes after that (unless it does end up going to the left front indicator?).

I've checked the relays (hazard and indicators) and they seem ok but not sure how one tests them. Can anyone point me in the right direction for that loose cable please? Everything else seems to be working ok now apart from this blinking (or rather not blinking) indicator/hazard issue.

Thanks in anticipation.

steve

Hi Steve,

Wire colours for TRs (including the TR6) follow BS AU7 standard.

The wires for the indicators are:

Green with Red trace - Left hand side of car

Green with White trace, Right hand side of car

Red wires are for side lights (Marker lamps)

It sounds to me that somehow one of the sidelights has been connected to the wrong connector under the bonnet near the grill.

Good luck sorting it out.

TT

Testing the relays is easier once the wiring is known to be correct. This is because normally the flashers use bimetallic strips, and these require suitable loads to work correctly.

Can't help with the stray wire, although I wouldn't have thought it would be indicator related in that position.

If you have a bad earth in a light unit all sorts of odd things happen, like illuminating another bulb. Check all your earths and add extra ones if necessary.

Jerry

17 hours ago, jerrytr5 said:

Can't help with the stray wire, although I wouldn't have thought it would be indicator related in that position.

If you have a bad earth in a light unit all sorts of odd things happen, like illuminating another bulb. Check all your earths and add extra ones if necessary.

Jerry

+1

Thanks for the pointers. I managed to get the right indicator working and flashing properly by taking the earth wire from the left side indicator and connecting it to a proper earth. No idea how that works! But still left with no left indicator. No flashing, just rear and side indicators light up and the front left side light. I think I might have a look at the indicator unit on the steering wheel next. After that? Perhaps check the earths on the rear lights? Just as logical as finding the solution to the right indicators.

If the indicator selector on the steering column had a left switching problem you would have no light on the left indicators at all. Go straight to checking the rear light earths. Are you sure all the left indicator bulbs are the correct wattage?

I know this is a stupid comment but you have checked the bulb is OK and have you checked if you are getting a voltage to the bulb holder??

kc