Need help........

I have recently started the refurb' of my 1972 TR6 interior 25 years after the last time.....!!!!

The problem I have is that I have purchased repro door pulls and the moulded "H" frame cover all from Moss Europe. I started with one of the door pulls and quickly found that any glue that I have ever previously used for interior trim wouldn't stick it. I did find a 3M weather seal product that seemed to work, however when I came to use it on the H frame cover, it simply peels off.....!!... so now I am concerned about the door pull that seemed to be ok, but in truth hasn't been used in anger....

I went back to Moss in London and asked what I should use and was sold a £30 tin of contact adhesive, confident it wouldn't work I was assured of a refund if it failed.......it failed. Got my money back and the promise of an email to Moss USA where these things are made !!!!......Sometime later the answer came back.....contact adhesive, but no specific one as they don't know. At this point Moss in London is at a lost.....

"well if you find something to stick it let us know"

So I have two door pulls £67 ea and a H frame cover £190 and no way of sticking them in place......Moss London tell me they have sold around 70 with no returns, so someone somewhere must have got them to stick, I just need to find one of them and ask them what they used, what are my chances ????

I do know the plastic made to look like vinyl, is probably recycled plastic and known as LSE (low surface energy) plastic, but how to glue it with something that allows you position it before it sets eludes me.

Can anyone help please.....

Thanks Neil

I'm sure Stuart on here has recently recommended some very strong adhesive that he uses, but I cannot see it at the moment, sure he will be along soon with the answer.

John 

35 minutes ago, peejay4A said:

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/1263/heat-resistant-adhesive
If this doesn’t stick it, nothing will. 

PS: would you mind not using a script typeface?  It’s really hard to read. Ta. 

Thats the best glue for trim, the Moss door pulls are made of a horrid material and to get them to stick you will need to Scotch off were you want to glue with the Scotch soaked in a good quality spirit wipe and then clean off with a good lint free cloth, this will remove any of the "Release agent" which is why your struggling to get them to stick, do the same to the surface your applying them too. You do need to wipe them off with the cloth after cleaning or your just moving the Release agent around.

Stuart

On 7/25/2020 at 3:36 AM, NeilJ62 said:

Hi Peejay4a

Thanks for the reply....

Wrote the post in comic sans and still looks that way on PC, but it you read it on a mobile it's come out as script :unsure:

Neil

Yes, and Comic Sans is hard to read for me too :). Nothing wrong with standard typefaces...