Gearbox Input shaft removal.

Are there any ways to remove the input shaft/bearing without the special tool? Indeed using only the tools I might have in my garage. I'm swapping over to a Dolomite overdrive box and need to get the Tr3 one out of a damaged case to put in the Dolly one. Is it doable? Thanks. 

P. S. I should say, I've done everything on a multitude of cars, but have cunningly managed to avoid gearbox fixes up till now, so I'm a bit green on the subject.! 

Edited by Colin916

Hi Colin.

Yes is the answer, drop the laysahft into the bottom of the box to unmesh the gears and any soft drift can be

used to entice the input shaft, outwards, or screwdriver on the main bearing etc.

BUT be warned they are not all the same, even within the TR range, there are input shafts, from memory, with 16 and 17 teeth,

make sure you are swopping like with like to start with.

John.

8 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Hi Colin.

Yes is the answer, drop the laysahft into the bottom of the box to unmesh the gears and any soft drift can be

used to entice the input shaft, outwards, or screwdriver on the main bearing etc.

BUT be warned they are not all the same, even within the TR range, there are input shafts, from memory, with 16 and 17 teeth,

make sure you are swopping like with like to start with.

John.

Right. Thanks for that. Fingers crossed.

First time I took a Spitfire gearbox apart the Haynes manual instructed to whack the input shaft with a large hammer to remove it.

I belted it for some time until the gears broke. It was only after extracting the pieces that I found the circlip holding it together, the instruction to remove it having been omitted.

Good Luck :rolleyes:

Jerry

If I recall correctly the input shaft of a Dolomite Sprint is longer than a TR so you could get it hobbed down to TR length with the same but smaller than TR spline size.  Use the Triumph 2.5 PI  clutch plate.

This is a Dolomite Sprint gearbox you are working with?  Looks like a TR one at the bell housing end.

The overdrive output drive flange may not mate with your prop shaft - The TR non overdrive one is definitely not interchangeable with a J type overdrive due to spline type and size.

We did all this years ago on brother's TR2 and it survived in the car a couple of seasons - Got fed up with the exhaust hitting the overdrive and the solenoid hitting the chassis - It is now in the 'spares' area awaiting build into a CR gearbox to create a 'Special Tuning' 5 speed.

Peter W

Thanks for the "input"... See what I did there?  I've got it to pieces by dropping the layshaft. Looks like a nightmare to put back together! I'm looking froward to the challenge! 

It should be...er...fun, Colin.

I used to enjoy rebuilding my Vitesse "box, but then I had to do it every other rally or so because it used to eat layshafts.  

Thankfully the TR 'box is a bit more robust ;-)

Tim

• 1 month later...

image.png.b46566b44d9c436e06d497a38d5b890d.png1) “Tip of the main shaft that runs in the back of the input shaft might be a different diameter between the two gear boxes.”

2)“If I recall correctly the input shaft of a Dolomite Sprint is longer than a TR so you could get it hobbed down to TR length with the same but smaller than TR spline size.  Use the Triumph 2.5 PI  clutch plate…”

H Peter,

I was looking for info on swapping a dolly box into a TR6 and found your posts on this TR forum.

1) If there is a difference in the main shaft tip diameter behind the input shaft of a dolomite  and of TR, what would you have to do to get a TR input shaft to fit in a dolomite gearbox? Assuming someone including Collin on this forum may have go through the swapping?

2) You mentioned in your post that you previously hobbled or cut down the dolomite input shaft to match that of  a TR input shaft.  The throw-out bearing sleeve on a dolly is longer than that of a TR6 one. Did you use the longer dolomite throw-out bearing sleeve or the shorter TR throw-out sleeve to make the conversion work?

3) what other things you may remember having to do to get it to work?

Cheers,

Harry