Picked up a broken compressor today as I wanted the air tank from it, but the chap also gave me the compressor unit FOC, it wasn't compressing so when I got home I pulled it apart and found its missing one of the exhaust valves any suggestion where i might be able to source one, did think of making one but they are spring steel and not sure I or any of the very average quality tools I have are up to that.

The valve (remaining one is bottom left)appears to have a thin 'reed' under the thicker limiting strip held in place with a copper rivet 

IMG_0396.jpg

An interesting challenge !  spring steel from say an old mower recoil starter perhaps, you would have to anneal it to shape it & drill the hole, then re-temper.

the backing plate should not be a problem.  Good luck, will watch this thread with interest !

Bob.

14 hours ago, Lebro said:

An interesting challenge !  spring steel from say an old mower recoil starter perhaps, you would have to anneal it to shape it & drill the hole, then re-temper.

the backing plate should not be a problem.  Good luck, will watch this thread with interest !

Bob.

Bob I have a plan, since the things not working anyway and nothing to loose I've pulled the other exhaust valve out and measured the thickness of the reed and its .2mm and it just so happens to be the same width as a feeler gauge blade so have ordered a cheap set and copper rivets from the bay and I've already made a replacement 'limiter' strip as this was only mild steel. 

This compressor you have been given - does it have a 13amp plug on the end of the wire?

Last year I was given a cracking compressor and tank, shame really as the motor was 3 phase, so did not work with my domestic power circuit without additional converters etc..  I gave it to someone who has 3 phase in their workshop.

Peter W

8 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

This compressor you have been given - does it have a 13amp plug on the end of the wire?

Last year I was given a cracking compressor and tank, shame really as the motor was 3 phase, so did not work with my domestic power circuit without additional converters etc..  I gave it to someone who has 3 phase in their workshop.

Peter W

I've literally only got the compressor and a 150L tank so no motor or control unit, I only wanted the tank originally for extra air capacity for sand blasting  but I'm tempted now to try and rebuild the whole thing into a working compressor .....not quite sure what I will do with 2 150 litre compressors but at the moment rebuilding compressors has got to be way cheaper than rebuilding the 5 given my experience lately ! 

Have you got the 'no load' valve and pipework for the tank entry?  I found that part to be an expensive set of bits to buy.  The pressure cut-out switches are fairly cheap.

You will need the 'no load valve' or each time the compressor restarts it has to pump against whatever pressure is in the storage tank - ultimately causing the motor to either overheat or burn out.

image.thumb.png.a17e7bbe7f883756b3e40edc23c695fb.png

image.png.d5a7dd7a0a2de324ee2e7ce9163bf2e9.png

4 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Have you got the 'no load' valve and pipework for the tank entry?  I found that part to be an expensive set of bits to buy.  The pressure cut-out switches are fairly cheap.

You will need the 'no load valve' or each time the compressor restarts it has to pump against whatever pressure is in the storage tank - ultimately causing the motor to either overheat or burn out.

Pete yes I have the one way valve that sits between the pump and the tank, just not the pipe that goes between the pump and the 1 way valve but sure I've got some 15mm copper pipe in the shed somewhere 

26 minutes ago, dingle said:

Graham-Sorry to state the obvious, but have you tried find a source of parts for the compressor?

Berry 

Yes the original compressor is a SIP Air one but think this one is 90's built so to old for them to hold spares, and even on the more modern compressors they want you to buy a whole cylinder head, they don't appear to offer the valve chest even as a separate part, and basically by replacing just the reed and limiter plate I'm at component level. (cheap :D)

When you come to think about a head gasket, copper sheet A4 size is available on ebay under "embossing copper sheet" you can get various thicknesses.

I have an SIP 3 H/P compressor (twin cylinder) & I have had to replace that gasket twice now, the middle section which divides in from out just gets eroded away.

Bob.

On 7/24/2020 at 12:16 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Peter realised your referring to a different item so no I don't have the unloader valve but IF I can get the compressor unit working I will be buying one of these https://www.airlines-pneumatics.co.uk/product.asp?ProductCode=S020122&OrderCode=131071&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyMy-2Orm6gIVE-3tCh1pUQSWEAQYAyABEgL14PD_BwE#technical

4 minutes ago, Graham said:

Peter realised your referring to a different item so no I don't have the unloader valve but IF I can get the compressor unit working I will be buying one of these https://www.airlines-pneumatics.co.uk/product.asp?ProductCode=S020122&OrderCode=131071&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyMy-2Orm6gIVE-3tCh1pUQSWEAQYAyABEgL14PD_BwE#technical

Well found

Peter W

On 7/24/2020 at 5:19 PM, Lebro said:

When you come to think about a head gasket, copper sheet A4 size is available on ebay under "embossing copper sheet" you can get various thicknesses.

I have an SIP 3 H/P compressor (twin cylinder) & I have had to replace that gasket twice now, the middle section which divides in from out just gets eroded away.

Bob.

Bob clearly your and engineer! I was thinking I was pushing the boat out cutting up an old Payen gasket set box to make a new gasket rather than my usual cornflakes packet !:D

I had assumed that you knew the gasket was copper - of course if the old one was not included, then how would you ! Yes, the original is copper, I will check to see what thickness it was, although I was planning to use a thicker one next time (if there is going to be a next time !). Will post more details later.

Bob.

P.S. Cornflakes packets are good too !!

Edited by Lebro
  • 2 weeks later...

Right feeler gauge set finally turned up and next challenge was that my drill bits are made of Chinaisium wouldn't touch .2mm of stainless steel so ordered some Cobalt ones and it took longer to unpackaged the drill bits than it did to drill the hole! (note to self stop cheaping out it only costs you time and/or money in the end) 

Head all back together and on the compressor and when turned over by hand it does now produce a stream of air.  Now I need to take the plunge and buy a new motor and unloader valve unit. This is where I find out that there is something fundamentally wrong with the compressor and I've wasted even more money !  to go with my bonnet and chassis 'investments' :wacko:

29 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I have a spare 3/4 hp single phase motor if you want to borrow it to try rather than lashing out on a new motor.

Peter W

Peter that’s very kind of you, I’m going to sandblast the compressor unit to clean it up before final assembly but may well take you up on your offer when it’s back together