Tyre choice for 6inch rims

Simon

Sorry to sidetrack this slightly but who are you going to for the wheels? I was going for 5.5Js but the opinion on here seemed to be 6" were better.

Ron

Ron, you have an email

Simon

Edited by simonjrwinter

Simon, as far as I can make out raking through the archives, either 195/65s or 205/65 seem to be the best bet on 6" rims, 195 seems to have a price advantage as they are a common size, will do a bit of shopping about tomorrow.

Ron

I'm thinking of going for a 205/60 section tyre for my 6 inch rims, would 55 section be better?

I know the 60 section would give me better speedo accuracy.

Simon

205/55 is still lower than 185/70 or the original tyres. 205/60 is commonly available and perhaps 205/65 also? If you have the choice 205/65 will better fill the wheel arches and is nearer to the original wheel height.

I've decided to buy a set of 6 inch minilites.

I think I'm going to go for 205 section tyres, but what profile is best?

Thanks

Simon

Nobody seems to have pointed out the consequences of very low profiles yet. Don't forget low profiles are designed for modern suspension systems. 16 inch and 50 series or even bigger and lower might look fantastic but I suggest would not handle well on a suspension system designed 30 years ago. Our cars tend to need the compliance present in a higher profile tyre. You need to go to a 65 series to take advantage of modern tyre technology but I personally wouldn't go below 60 series. I use a 195/65 on my 5. For my money you can't beat Bridgestones or Yokohama at the moment. It would be interesting to hear how a TR on 45 or 50 series tyres handles though.

Went to the local tyre shop this morning and explained to them what I was doing, he reckoned 196/65 or 60 was the best bet for a 6" rim on an old car, price varied from £40 to £65 a tyre all in depending on the quality, ie if I'd heard of the make they were nearer £65 if I hadn't they were £40, he had Fuldas at £56, might go for them.

Ron

Edited by ron

Racetorations have a fast road TR5 shod with 195/65s and unless you intend full-out racing these will more than suffice ( IMO having been out for a thrash in it ). They're also a virtual bulls-eye on diameter w/r to the original tyres, so speedo accuracy is preserved. Wider tyres present inflation pressure uncertainties and higher inertia/ unsprung weight - to what purpose? :huh: