Is this the Best ever restored TR5

Up for auction soon, the meticulously restored (Ex Andy McGowan) TR5.

I remember seeing this car displayed at the TSSC International at Stafford after it's restoration (10 - 15 Years ago), I couldn't get close to it because if was chained off from the Public!

Is this the best ever restoration of a TR5? 

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1247954

2 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:

Up for auction soon, the meticulously restored (Ex Andy McGowan) TR5.

I remember seeing this car displayed at the TSSC International at Stafford after it's restoration (10 - 15 Years ago), I couldn't get close to it because if was chained off from the Public!

Is this the best ever restoration of a TR5? 

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1247954

It is nice but its hardly turned a wheel since it was restored and its changed hands several times over the intervening years. I know of one just as nice thats used as well.

Stuart.

I notice there is a buyers premium of 12.5% + vat. If you have a winning bid of £80k for the car, that's another £12k on top!  The mind boggles!

Edited by mafield

I think that's a Shadow Blue interior, anyway it inspired me to get one for my Valencia Blue '250.

There doesn't seem to be a front ARB on it; were they fitted originally on TR5s? They were not original on TR250s.

Not much to nitpick at all, yet I've seen ( have ) better fits of the hardtop to the windscreen capping. That's a tough one!

Positive camber evident on the front won't give good cornering, but who's going to drive it anyway?

Auction estimates are pretty much the going rate for World's Best category TRs.

Tom

Might that be yours graham?

1 hour ago, stuart said:

This ones nice too.;)

Stuart

LAM666F_06.JPG

Stuart

Gorgeous!!

My favorite colour too?

I remember trying to buy it off the Owner at Malvern a few years ago, he wouldn't sell:(

Gary

And one from way back too.

Stuart.

TR at south stoke 001.jpg

Edited by stuart

All those TR5s are very nice indeed, but it all depends on an individual's interpretation of 'best'. Too many TRs are restored to an inch of their lives and seldom used as the owners become too frightened to use or lose their 'investment'.

My 'best' is a TR that shows its age, is mechanically and bodily sound and gets used as the owner isn't too precious of it.

Stuart,

Is CMA Jeff Marks' TR5 , this would classify as my 'best' as Jeff uses his in all weathers and it's used (or was) as a testing donkey for Moss.

Cheers, Andrew

12 minutes ago, Andrew Smith said:

All those TR5s are very nice indeed, but it all depends on an individual's interpretation of 'best'. Too many TRs are restored to an inch of their lives and seldom used as the owners become too frightened to use or lose their 'investment'.

My 'best' is a TR that shows its age, is mechanically and bodily sound and gets used as the owner isn't too precious of it.

Stuart,

Is CMA Jeff Marks' TR5 , this would classify as my 'best' as Jeff uses his in all weathers and it's used (or was) as a testing donkey for Moss.

Cheers, Andrew

Yes CMA is Jeffs, that was done way back and yes its used as a development hack  for any new kit that Moss has and has had all sorts of stuff fitted to it over the years

Stuart.

jeffstr5 155.jpg

51 minutes ago, Andrew Smith said:

Got one of each type.

The driver just whacked a deer a couple of weeks ago; only a small dent in the front of the LH wing which a broom handle and mallet all but made vanish. Lots of crazing on the 1996 paint, runs like a top doing ~ 5K miles/year for the last 18. Its spare engine is getting makeover with Carillos and Weisco pistons, done by a top notch artisan who does it out of love. This will be planted into a repainted engine bay, leaving the exterior as is to contend with rock chips, bird poop and the usual offences suffered by driven machines. 

The concours car gets 500-600 miles/year, one 10 mile run/ week. Makes me nervous to take it out longer. "  seldom used as the owners become too frightened to use or lose their 'investment' " applies, though I would substitute " careful " for frightened in my own case. 

Two is a good number!

Tom

Edited by Tom Fremont

Andrew

you will like this one then , not restored and on the front cover of TR for triumph by Chris harvey and at donington loop international. Do not get much more original than this one.

graham

Ps I have been out in the rain

6092FEFB-A16F-4192-9967-1E19EC4BA4AA.jpeg

1 hour ago, tr graham said:

Andrew

you will like this one then , not restored and on the front cover of TR for triumph by Chris harvey and at donington loop international. Do not get much more original than this one.

graham

Ps I have been out in the rain

6092FEFB-A16F-4192-9967-1E19EC4BA4AA.jpeg

Graham,

Yes, I do like that and glad you're a 'rain man'. :)

Do you remember Mike Malone's 1968 Conifer Green TR5 which he'd owned from new and won the Triumph Survivors Cup at Lincoln in 2016?  How great and original was that, apart from his moniker'd  bonnet badge.

Cheers, Andrew

28308740891_367a5a57fd_k_1200x799.thumb.jpg.e3db3406c834bf69020ce8897bc09ecc.jpg

Didn't APP362F belong to Ian Clarke who set up the TR Drivers Club way back when....

Tim