TR 4 Steering Racks

John - I think I'm right in saying the early ones don't have the locating upstands ( not sure of the correct terminology!) against which the rack mounts are fitted  - so when there are none, the rack has a propensity to slide through the mounts. Effectively the rack tube is smooth all the way along

cheers Rich 

Correct, Rich, no ears on the rack on early TR4s, where the rack mounts onto legs rising vertically from the chassis.

However, the rack's tube has a hole beneath each of the clamps, and each clamp has a matching hole.  There should be a small, plain steel pin which fits between clamp and rack, one end in each, and secures the rack against sideways movement.

On the Works' TR4 rally cars there may have been problems with damage to the rack mountings, and Ray Henderson devised a clever strengthening of the vertical legs by welding a pair of downward facing legs from the cross tube.  The U-bolts link each clamp to both chassis (upward) leg and cross tube (downward) leg, making a very strong attachment - but not easy to fit with engine in place!  I have a photo showing Ray and another mechanic test fitting this strengthening to a chassis in 1962.

The Rally cars had many changes of chassis, and I believe that 3VC, 5VC and 6VC have the later chassis, with the rack clamped downwards.

Ian Cornish

This I received from David Somerville.

It shows Ray Henderson (standing) and possibly Tommy Wilkes fitting the special cross tube with its pair of pendant brackets, which link with the steering rack brackets rising from the chassis.

There's another cross tube lying on the centre of the chassis.

I have a second shot taken on the same occasion, but cannot find it at the moment (very frustrating!).

Ian Cornish

vc-chassis-prep-vc.jpg

The pendant brackets are the same basic shape as those rising from the chassis, having sidepieces for strength.. the brackets sit one over the other, with the U bolts clamping the alloy rack brackets (each with locating pin) to the rack and the mounting brackets.

I have found the second photo, which I had pasted into a Word document - I'll try to post it here, but not guaranteeing it will work!

Ian Cornish

Tulip '62 - Prep - New 12.doc

Pete - no not the same, as Tommy is looking upwards in the 2nd.

However, clearly must have been taken within a few minutes of the first one.

I posted as sometimes one can spot a detail which might not have been visible or clear in just one shot.

Ian Cornish