Historic Auctioneers sold this one recently for a whopping £57k it was an expensive rebuild with receipt’s for £70k  Not one for the purists, but very nice non the less.

DF605F1F-2717-4773-8A29-AAB5A09F9A27.jpeg.7cdf6aaaa2b90a7ce4ed5d55521a7540.jpeg

Edited by Paul Hill

There are two cars the same Aston Martin grey colour that have appeared on the internet in recent years and both have had oodles and oodles of cash thrown at them, both have different interiors, one has modern efi and went to New Zealand i believe, the one above had the Lucas Pi but with conversion to efi using the throttle bodies. Both very nice cars if you dont mind the colours. However if anyone today does a full nut and bolt rebuild and pays someone else to do all the work it doesnt matter what car it is its always going to be more than the car is worth unless you want to keep it forever it is expensive. It reminds me of an old saying " You cant afford it if you have to ask the price" or when i saw under the bonnet of i think it was a Nissan Skyline and said to the salesman you cant see any of the engine- he replied "people who buy this sort of car wont be looking under the bonnet and wont care about how much it costs to service" - rude man i thought lol.

Thats life

Michael

Here is a picture of the engine bay

BE4D41FD-7D4E-48F2-A405-16D11222323D.thumb.jpeg.1ced027a9bd7a97b0cae55ce9d3d8443.jpeg

Think this car won the TRR Concourse at Strafford and went into the NEC Show. (Someone will correct if I’m wrong)

As a one off and to the owners liking  probably a very nice car, personally Doesn’t float my boat, too much bling and non standard, Not keen on the colour combo.

Is it  about conserving vehicles in their current condition, being true to their origin or total restoration?

Matters not one jot if the cars yours and you like it.

Phil

Yes that is a stunning engine bay but they've gone too far with the bling I agree, I'd have put green heater hoses, standard black breathers and green plug leads as original it would have looked nicer then and no TR6 logo in the cowling I never liked that but as you say each to their own- colour is nice on an Aston .

Michael

A beautiful car and as has been said, excellent workmanship.

However, the price of £57k does seem excessive, though as it was an auction result, 'the market has spoken'. If I was looking, I would prefer to find a more original car in top condition, which should be achievable for little more than half what was paid here.

Nigel

However, the price of £57k does seem excessive, though as it was an auction result, 'the market has spoken'. If I was looking, I would prefer to find a more original car in top condition, which should be achievable for little more than half what was paid here.

Ditto that Nigel. Funny I ask myself the same question whenever I see car like this :  "When is a TR6 not a TR6"?   Afraid to say this one doesn't rock my boat either.

Alan

Interesting that the owner paid all that money to have it done and then kept it only about a year.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Interesting that the owner paid all that money to have it done and then kept it only about a year.

Stuart.

I have known a number of people who invested money, energy and blood in projects like this. Only to sell them not long after they were completed. For some people the journey is more rewarding than the destination.

9 minutes ago, PGB BME said:

The car won the “Masterclass” at Stratford, and obviously was a “labour of love” and to the owners preferred details. 
Phil

That's very interesting, as to be eligible for the TR Register Masters Class a car must first win its Class in a preceding Concours event which for this car is the Non-Standard TR6.  As the Masters winner it is then represents the TRR on the Meguiar's Club Stand at the NEC, usually in November of that year.

This TR6 never won its class at either the 2017 Concours at Malvern or in 2018 at Lincoln - those honours went respectively to Brian Olden with his Damson TR6 (195 BVY) and Nick Loizou with his Jasmine TR6 EUV 77J, so I'm not entirely sure how the above TR6 became the 2019 Masters Winner? 

Full list of Class entries and winners:

2017 Results: https://www.tr-register.co.uk/article/2017/07/0107/TR-Register-Concours-DElegance-Results-2017

2018 Results: https://www.tr-register.co.uk/article/2018/07/0149/Results-for-2018-Concours-Pride-of-Ownership-and-Triumph-Survivors-announced

Cheers, Andrew 

It is indeed the journey that some people like. Others want the perfect car made by others and enjoy the bragging rights. Neither is wrong, just different aspects of the same hobby. I admire both and used to be in the former camp. Took a long time  to get over the "must not use as it will spoil it" voices in my head. 

Cheers Tim 

To my eyes that is a lovely looking TR6 which has clearly had a lot of time and money spent on it. 

However, to pay £57k for it is madness IMO and there is no way I would spend that .... YMMV. 

3 hours ago, Richard Green 54 said:

I have known a number of people who invested money, energy and blood in projects like this. Only to sell them not long after they were completed. For some people the journey is more rewarding than the destination.

Some people just like doing a project, then moving on. Same with houses, although they tend to increase in value and it works financially (usually!).

1 minute ago, DRD said:

Some people just like doing a project, then moving on. Same with houses, although they tend to increase in value and it works financially (usually!).

I get that and have done it myself - albeit I have made a profit of previous cars.

I am also the recipient of a TR6 that was basically purchased for half the price of the parts purchased before you take onto account the 4000 plus hours of labour! 

To set the record straight for the awards which BPA 61K won at last years Triumph Weekend at Stratford, it did win quite a few all as listed in TRA 316 

• It came 2nd in the Non Standard TR6 Class
  • It was the Highest Placed Runner up
  • It won Best Paint
  • it on Best Trim and finally
  • It won Car of the Show

Commendable results indeed and whilst not to everyone's taste we should all take note as maybe this is where the money will be in the future?

cheers

Derek 

50 minutes ago, Hawk said:

I get that and have done it myself - albeit I have made a profit of previous cars.

I am also the recipient of a TR6 that was basically purchased for half the price of the parts purchased before you take onto account the 4000 plus hours of labour! 

Well bought! Do the math: 4000 x hourly rate of, what £50? That's £200K before parts. Back in the 1900s Classic and Sportscar ( or T&CC, can't remember which ) featured a TR6 for sale with 4000 hours in it. Asking price? £16K.

I've got one with around 1500 hours in it and it had very little rust, though every panel needed straightening. All was " metal finished ", i.e. no filler and it certainly is " top condition " as the restorer ( RIP ) had multiple Pebble Beach and Amelia Island 1st place awards. It's the best example ever seen by all who have seen it ( not so many, really as it's mostly shielded from view - I have another I drive 5000 miles a year ).

So I don't think you can get to " top condition " for under 1000 hours, though it certainly helps to start with one like this with factory red primer on the underside:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383637227523

Now there's a good one!

Tom

Edited by Tom Fremont

Derek

The winner of the non standard TR6 must have been a good car as BPA 61K won the awards listed.

It does however say in the article on TR Register at the NEC that the car won the Master Class, what does Master Class cover? Best in Show?

Not sure this is where the Classic Car market is heading it does seem that originality is ahead of total restoration

Phil

1 hour ago, saffrontr said:

To set the record straight for the awards which BPA 61K won at last years Triumph Weekend at Stratford, it did win quite a few all as listed in TRA 316 

• It came 2nd in the Non Standard TR6 Class
  • It was the Highest Placed Runner up
  • It won Best Paint
  • it on Best Trim and finally
  • It won Car of the Show

Commendable results indeed and whilst not to everyone's taste we should all take note as maybe this is where the money will be in the future?

cheers

Derek 

Hi Derek,

I wasn't questioning what it had won at Stratford but how it entered and then won the Masters Class (if indeed it did?) without first qualifying in accordance with the TRR concours rules as I said above - those awards individually or collectively do not qualify it.

With regards to this car maybe being an indicator to where the money is in the future I really do hope not, because if that's the case then there's no hope for the younger members to gain entry into TRs as top end prices normally drag up the prices of the more affordable cars.

Cheers, Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith
9 minutes ago, Andrew Smith said:

Hi Derek,

I wasn't questioning what it had won at Stratford but how it entered and then won the Masters Class (if indeed it did?) without first qualifying in accordance with the TRR concours rules as I said above - those awards individually or collectively do not qualify it.

With regards to this car maybe being an indicator to where the money is in the future I really do hope not, because if that's the case then there's no hope for the younger members to gain entry into TRs as top end prices normally drag up the prices of the more affordable cars.

Cheers, Andrew

Hi Chaps, Just to set the record straight Malcolm McKittens Red TR6 MAC 202L won the class on Stratford last year, BPA 61K came second losing out 10 points because there was nowhere in the boot to put a spare wheel ( if he had had one ) The boot was full of Stereo equipment.

Malcolm is currently selling MAC 202L for £32000 ( its on TR Register classified site. ) as he has bought a Morgan.  Wish I had £ 32k spare I would snap his hand off.

How do I know this ? well because I  was one of the judges for that class.

Regards

Rex