Lamp bulb holders

Hopefully somebody may find this useful, just back from an MOT for BUO and she failed ..........rear indicator not working. a bit strange as I've fitted the side repeater lamp and this was working and the lamp its self worked fine, it also worked if you pulled the bulb holder out and provided a separate earth. Got the meter out and there was no connection between the earth tang that contacts the lamp body and the ring which has the spring tags on it to locate the lamp holder in the lamp body  ? was scratching my head as I couldn't understand how a piece of metal in the lamp holder appeared to be non conductive. The I realised that the earth tang was made of brass and the ring that has the spring tags on was steel the two part are held together by the plastic body of the lamp holder and damp had allow some corrosion between the 2 isolating one from the other, bit of copper wire down the inside of the fitting wound round the steel spring tags and jobs a 'good's' :ph34r: just make sure you don't push the copper wire to far down the plastic bulb holder as it will short out the power feed to the lamp !!

Yes, the design of those lampholders sucks, and the bonding of the brass contact to the steel ring will help a lot.  However, that isn't the only problem area in the return path.  The joint between the spring steel mounting fingers and the housing is also prone to corrosion.

A proper brass or copper spade terminal connected directly to the earth lamp contact provides a much more robust lamp holder, and could have easily been done by the manufacturer.

Ed