Hi All,

I got my TR5 over a friend's pit this morning. This was the first time so I checked the gearbox and rear axle oil levels and had a good look at everything. I'm pleased to report that in general all was well, but I did notice that one of the sump screws was loose. When I came to tighten it it just turned so clearly the thread is stripped. As it is at the front of the engine I can get at it quite well. I am thinking of installing a 5/16" UNF Helicoil thread insert. I know that this involves drilling out the thread and tapping it a larger size to take the insert. I'm assuming that the tapped holes are blind holes so that oil doesn't leak out. Can anyone confirm this? Also is there sufficient metal around the tapped hole for it to be opened out slightly?

Many thanks,

Denis

Hi Denis

i don’t have the diagram to hand but iirc there is an alloy bridge piece that the front sump bolts bolt into, notorious for stripping threads.

perhaps a new bridge piece, and iirc someone makes them in steel now, is the best solution?

otherwise a helicoil should be fine

steve

Edited by Steves_TR6

Thank you all for your very helpful suggestions. As only the one thread seems to be faulty I'll try fitting a Helicoil first. Thanks again.

You will need a long drill bit to do in situe. But certainly doable as opposed to taking the front of the engine to pieces.

• 3 weeks later...

The Helicoil tapping drill is 8.3mm diameter. I have bought an 8mm drill with a hexagon drive and extension pieces so that I can get directly below. As the  bridge piece is aluminium alloy I am hoping that I can tap a thread within the 8mm pilot hole. Anyone know if they are blind or through holes? Thanks

Worth making sure it has the correct length bolt in it? One of my sump threads (TR4a where the slave bracket mounts) did the same thing) albeit in cast iron . I measured the full depth of the hole, ran a tap in and and fitted a longer bolt.  Made short work of a potentially long job, and it only pinches the gasket up anyway.

Nothing to lose even if you have to eventually fit a helicoil.

Kevin