TR4A Grab handle

Why are these so expensive? Just looking at mine and whilst it looks fine in the car as it currently stands I know that when I start refurbing I'll want to replace with new. How difficult is this to refurb? Surely just sculpted or moulded foam and recovered? If I wanted it to be eact I could vacuum form a mould and go from there? Or am I missing something?

Thanks

Hi Jase,

if you make it from any sort of foamy stuff it will simply break off in your hand when you need it.

There is a steel spine inside that gives it its strength.  

The reason for the, what appears to be a  high cost, is the R&D required to get the mould sorted and then the productions and then a profit to keep going. This is all related to howmany are going to be sold. Not that many.

Is it easy to make a decent ???  if so why did a quality TR shop get one produced that does not fit the TR4/4A - it is not easy to produce anything.

However on the good side it is relatively easy to re-cover and old grab handle. And if you are really clever you will trim away the old vinyl where the metal backing can sit neatly into the new vinyl.

Roger

Agree Roger H, if you are buying a complete handle then production costs etc would be expensive for short runs but why would you not just refurb one if you have it? Does anyone know the type of foam used?

Hi Jase,

If you are going to refurb a grab handle you do not generally need any foam at all.

You are simply covering the existing foam and vinyl with new vinyl - see my pic below

However the vinyl used  to  make new *very stiff when cooled down after forming)  is very different from the usual vinyls (very flexible) used in refurb'ing.

Roger

DSC_4710a.jpg

Edited by RogerH

I really would like one to recover. Anybody got a s/h one for sale?

I have the moulded one that is probably like the TR Shop one although I have not seen theirs.

Also the right hand crash pad suitable for recovering.

Regards Harry

20200721_110549_resized.jpg

20200721_110620_resized.jpg

23 hours ago, RogerH said:

.....and how do you 3D print the steel spine inside the foam !!!

Roger

I was imagining a solid plastic shaped item ready to take the vinyl and mounting screws i.e. no foam at all.

Mark 

Hi Mark,

that may work.  The original foam covered handle was probably a token gesture to safety should the passenger head butt it during a nasty prang.

You would need something inside that would withstand man handling or even woman handling.

Roger

Hi Harry,

Definitely not. That is awful. The TRshop grab handle looks very good indeed. 

However I found the most inner end that fits into the central console is too big.

I seriously hope they can sort it out.

Roger