Forum Etiquette

:huh: :D :wacko:

While it is possible  to indicate some of the above it’s not possible to do all or anonymously. I am with Suzanne on this if it is possible to distinguish between a Heart to a cup rather than just thumbs up, or thumbs down. 

I find that I don’t agree removing anonymous post, clearly not that I have a problem with having a different opinion to others, and stating that, but others it seems do. By removing that anonymous right,  you remove there ability for some to have a say without reprisals.

M

Edited by Misfit

This has gone from whether a moderator should have likes and dislikes Johns question.  To taking away a right currently enjoyed by many it seems. Perhaps John M you feel content in putting a dislike and stating why, clearly other are not or decided not to.

Perhaps these are people that enjoy the forum but not wish to participate as you or I do. It is never wise to give something then take it away, it’s better to not have given that facility in the first place, perhaps that was the time to have given this more thought.

To retrospectively decide to remove the right of those who posted anonymously not to remain anonymous, would be unforgivable.

I want to make it clear I am not having a go at moderators the job is difficult enough, especially as they are members and have opinions and are prepared to air them. But if moderators have power to do this, it seems they would be mindful with that comes responsibility. 
m

Edited by Misfit
47 minutes ago, SuzanneH said:

I mostly agree with Dereks opinion BUT I truly believe that the Thumbs up or down should NOT be anonymous and that we should be able to see if it is a laughing face , boggled eye face or heart etc not just a plus or minus. We should be told in the notification of one of these reactions who made the reaction, as we are when we receive a PM.

Openness is very important so confusion and intimidation is eliminated.

Just my opinion.:rolleyes:

These are the options we are able to choose from but not the result we see having received one ......??????

629A80A2-45AC-456C-84FF-FBF2191295CA.jpeg

Absolutely Suzanne, well said.

Pete

23 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Nothing more open, than typing what you think, and then signing same.

John.

I agree, and am not aware I have ever given a thumbs down. 

i will just add that I have had perfectly reasonable posts removed by the Mods when I have said what I think whereas others have not.

Regional colloquialism has a great deal to do with misunderstanding the meaning of peoples posts.

"i will just add that I have had perfectly reasonable posts removed by the Mods when I have said what I think whereas others have not."

Sue, thats a heads you win, tails we lose situation I'm afraid, irreconcilable.

But I would like to think that if you ever had a post hidden, and asked, then you at least recieved a reply, and some explanation from the mods.

John.

On 7/20/2020 at 10:41 AM, Cameron said:

Let the discussion begin. 

Small sentence, big question.

I have written many times here, that

'We just want folk to be nice to each other'

I don't think thats a bad starting point for a debate.

John.

1 hour ago, Derek Hurford said:

Perhaps Roger the thumbs down was not for açaie, but for Tim, the quote referring to the removal of subsequent posts, after Cameron removed his. On the bases that they could not indicate a response direct to Tim as a moderator can not get a like or dislike.

just a thought.

Hi Derek,

I understand you comment. However Tim asked for replies if necessary.

So why give Acaie 4 dislikes for a quote from another person.  It would be like me giving you 4 dislikes because I do not like my quote - madness.

So, remove the opportunity and allow honest people to make honest comments even if they disagree.  To disagree does not need to be rude etc.

Roger

On 7/21/2020 at 5:36 PM, TorontoTim said:

Now that the originator of this thread has, effectively, withdrawn the topic I'm going to remove the posts that refer to it, but leave the questions/answers about Moderator posts/reputation points.

Let me know if you object!

Tim

On 7/21/2020 at 7:42 PM, acaie said:

Good call

Al

You maybe right Roger it may be madness, 

Perhaps the 4 posters didn’t feel Tim removing posts was a right, therefore with acaie saying it was a good call,  4 people indicated they disapproved of that. Perhaps it was Tim assumed approval if he didn’t get a response. 

they couldn’t anonymously approve or disapprove of Tim’s doing it because you cannot Anonymous  like or dislike moderators. But clearly, as I see it, they didn’t like acaie approval and by that,  it indicates to me, Tim removing the post also.

However I might be wrong. If moderators were subject to likes and dislikes we would know for sure. But on the other hand perhaps Moderators have a difficult enough task without dealing with the added pressure of being anonymous liked or disliked when undertaking their duties. I can see that too. That’s the point of debate surely.

m

Edited by Misfit

Hi All,

First, if anyone disagrees with my action in removing the posts replying to the original post (subsequently removed) please feel free to post here or, if you'd rather do it out of the gaze of others, feel free to send me a private message; I'm more than happy to discuss and learn from others and never pretend to have a monopoly on good judgement!

Second, regarding reactions.  I use them from time to time; almost always a thumbs up, but occasionally a laughing face or a heart (usually for particularly good photos).  Having said that, I wouldn't miss them if they went away.  I believe that the Forum software allows us to record a name against each "reaction" in a similar way to other social media (Facebook, Twitter) but I think we would need to be careful about making that change - especially if it retrospectively "names" past reactions which were applied anonomously.  Whatever anyone thinks of anonomous thumbs up/down, it would be unfair to "uncover" previous actions.

To me, this is a worthwhile discussion - whether we can come to a consensus, remains to be seen...:unsure:

Cheers,

Tim

7 minutes ago, Derek Hurford said:

It seems from Tim’s post, there is a record, but hidden to members, so perhaps not so anonymous as some may think. 

To be honest, I don't know that this is true - needs more digging on my part.

However, if it IS true Pete, changing the rules on something after it's been done always seems to me to be unfair.

Personally I have no strong feeling either way  but it does seem to cause  issues for some forumites. It's not a function I use I generally post a + or - if I'm not minded to post a full comment.

As for Tim's removal of the earlier post's after Cameron removed his original , this makes sense ,one of mine was among those removed and it would have been totally out of context if left.

As for changing the rules retrospectively this would be very unfair to those who had used the function in the past. I've thought of the like's /dislike's as more of a fun thing .

Can you all reach a consensus on what should be done ?  Have fun:blink:

Bri

1 hour ago, TorontoTim said:

changing the rules on something after it's been done always seems to me to be unfair.

But is it more, or less, unfair than the ability to give a thumbs down anonymously, which is surely unfair on the poster.

Pete

1 hour ago, brian -r said:

Personally I have no strong feeling either way  but it does seem to cause  issues for some forumites. It's not a function I use I generally post a + or - if I'm not minded to post a full comment.:blink:

Bri

+1

1 hour ago, brian -r said:

As for changing the rules retrospectively this would be very unfair to those who had used the function in the past. I've thought of the like's /dislike's as more of a fun thing .

Can you all reach a consensus on what should be done ?  Have fun:blink:

Bri

53 minutes ago, stillp said:

But is it more, or less, unfair than the ability to give a thumbs down anonymously, which is surely unfair on the poster.

Pete

I must admit, my preference is to be able to see the forum identity of the users who utilise reactions.

I am on other fora, where reaction users are identified thus; 'john doe liked this post'

The names are added as they react, thus; 'john doe and fred east liked this post'

I can see no reason why this shouldn't be adopted here.

If this results in the names of users of reactions who were anonymous, becoming public, is this such a big deal?  Really?

We are all here for the technical info, the camaraderie and the fun.

Is anyone really going to be upset about who posted a thumbs down?  Not me, for one.

Is anyone really going to be upset about their name being published for posting a thumbs down?

John

4 minutes ago, wjgco said:

I must admit, my preference is to be able to see the forum identity of the users who utilise reactions.

I am on other fora, where reaction users are identified thus; 'john doe liked this post'

The names are added as they react, thus; 'john doe and fred east liked this post'

I can see no reason why this shouldn't be adopted here.

If this results in the names of users of reactions who were anonymous, becoming public, is this such a big deal?  Really?

We are all here for the technical info, the camaraderie and the fun.

Is anyone really going to be upset about who posted a thumbs down?  Not me, for one.

Is anyone really going to be upset about their name being published for posting a thumbs down?

John

+ 1

Brian I totally agree, I do not have a problem with Tim removing the posts once Cameron removed his, as you said they were then out of context. Perhaps 4 others did. What concerns me is why Cameron felt the need to remove his original post. 

The post then changed to whether moderator should get likes or dislikes?  Following Johns (Wjgco) question, who quite rightly are members and as such have a right to an opinion, but surely if they offer a personal opinion why shouldn’t they get likes or dislikes. But they are moderators and have control over what others can say in writing, should they be concerned whether their liked or disliked and will that effect their ability to do what’s required. Personally I think they can and should be accountable. Even by those wishing to express their point anonymously. I’ll be shocked if by far and away it wasn’t a positive thumbs up.  I am also surprised Wjgco has not been more involved Having asked the question, I always enjoy his input into many threads. 

We are now on whether anyone should have likes or dislikes,  even if those posting anonymously should be exposed, Stillp feels its unfair to the poster, surely if you are writing something you feel is fair and having reread it you are happy with what you have put in print, why worry.  The times I read on a forum, if you don’t like what you read don’t go on a forum. If you are unhappy with what you have written don’t write it or amend it if that’s what’s needed, I’d say. But those that were given the opportunity to put a anonymous like or dislike in the past should not be exposed.as Brian and Tim have said. 

Ps I note since starting writing this post John Wjgco has posted I am also surprised that Suzanne is a +1 as she has expressed her concerns and upset at receiving them. I ask this,  my name is clear  that’s not the case for all perhaps anonymous is fine on occasion and While I absolutely agree (We are all here for the technical info, the camaraderie and the fun). I am really aware sometimes that’s forgotten. 

m

Edited by Misfit
54 minutes ago, Derek Hurford said:

Brian I totally agree, I do not have a problem with Tim removing the posts once Cameron removed his, as you said they were then out of context. Perhaps 4 others did. What concerns me is why Cameron felt the need to remove his original post. 

The post then changed to whether moderator should get likes or dislikes?  Following Johns (Wjgco) question, who quite rightly are members and as such have a right to an opinion, but surely if they offer a personal opinion why shouldn’t they get likes or dislikes. But they are moderators and have control over what others can say in writing, should they be concerned whether their liked or disliked and will that effect their ability to do what’s required. Personally I think they can and should be accountable. Even by those wishing to express their point anonymously. I’ll be shocked if by far and away it wasn’t a positive thumbs up.  I am also surprised Wjgco has not been more involved Having asked the question, I always enjoy his input into many threads. 

We are now on whether anyone should have likes or dislikes,  even if those posting anonymously should be exposed, Stillp feels its unfair to the poster, surely if you are writing something you feel is fair and having reread it you are happy with what you have put in print, why worry.  The times I read on a forum, if you don’t like what you read don’t go on a forum. If you are unhappy with what you have written don’t write it or amend it if that’s what’s needed, I’d say. But those that were given the opportunity to put a anonymous like or dislike in the past should not be exposed.as Brian and Tim have said. 

Ps I note since starting writing this post John Wjgco has posted I am also surprised that Suzanne is a +1 as she has expressed her concerns and upset at receiving them. I ask this,  my name is clear  that’s not the case for all perhaps anonymous is fine on occasion and While I absolutely agree (We are all here for the technical info, the camaraderie and the fun). I am really aware sometimes that’s forgotten. 

Derek, I am not upset about receiving thumbs up or down but I DO want to know the identity of the person who has given me these reactions.

Please do not confuse my posts by mis-quoting me.

Edited by SuzanneH

42 minutes ago, SuzanneH said:

Derek, I am not upset about receiving thumbs up or down but I DO want to know the identity of the person who has given me these reactions.

Please do not confuse my posts by mis-quoting me.

Suzanne if I  misunderstood your comments made on a different thread about being unwelcome there, what’s next death and your reference to a saddo when receiving a red Flag, then  I apologise unreservedly. I just remember at one point adding a green flag when a red flag was issued to you, but I can’t remember the context in which the red flag was issued, other than I recall while I am not in the habit of correcting other response,  it just stuck in my mind, it seemed particularly unreasonable at that time I won’t comment further. Again please accept my opology.