Forum Etiquette

2 hours ago, brian -r said:

History is just that leave it intact and in the past, there are far more important issues in the present.

Brian

Tried that one on another forum  had to hunker down to dodge the flak

I was always taught that you cannot change history . . . But then, what do I know?

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

Off topic, but why can't moderators be liked (or disliked)

Bob.

Ruddy good question Bob, I'm bu99ered if I know.

I'll ask.

Here's another one;

How come my community reputation has stopped at 190, just stopped?

I'll ask.

27 minutes ago, wjgco said:

Here's another one;

How come my community reputation has stopped at 190, just stopped?

I'll ask.

Simples 

it’s the same reason, if we can’t like or dislike a mods posts then they will never alter again.:o

1 hour ago, SuzanneH said:

Simples 

it’s the same reason, if we can’t like or dislike a mods posts then they will never alter again.:o

Well I'll be a monkeys uncle

It's simple when someone explains it to you.

At least no one can 'dislike' my posts . . That's a positive

3 hours ago, wjgco said:

Well I'll be a monkeys uncle

It's simple when someone explains it to you.

At least no one can 'dislike' my posts . . That's a positive

Yes they can, but not anomalously 
sticking a Red flag, they just have to say so in writing.

1 hour ago, Derek Hurford said:

Absolutely right Derek, but, I'll work hard to ensure there is no 'Just Cause'

11 hours ago, wjgco said:

I'll work hard to ensure there is no 'Just Cause'

Nothing new there then John.

I personally see no reason why moderator should not continue to receive community reputation recorded. Perhaps that’s something that should be reviewed.

21 hours ago, Lebro said:

Off topic, but why can't moderators be liked (or disliked)

Bob.

19 hours ago, SuzanneH said:

Simples 

14 hours ago, Derek Hurford said:

Hi all

Well, I aked the question and it seems that no one has a definitive answer 

I was concerned that, not being likeable or unlikeable would differentiate the mods, who, at the end of the day are club members and more importantly, forumites.

It seems my concerns are ill founded.

It is the power of reply that is the important ability and that, like all forumites, mods have

If anyone has strong feelings on the subject, don't hesitate to let us know.

Joh

Now that the originator of this thread has, effectively, withdrawn the topic I'm going to remove the posts that refer to it, but leave the questions/answers about Moderator posts/reputation points.

Let me know if you object!

Tim

2 hours ago, TorontoTim said:

Now that the originator of this thread has, effectively, withdrawn the topic I'm going to remove the posts that refer to it, but leave the questions/answers about Moderator posts/reputation points.

Let me know if you object!

Tim

Good call

Al

Green Raspberries are very odd things, first someone gives you one then someone takes it away and then all of a sudden you are given it back again. The phantom strikes again and again and again......!

Hi Folks,

these 'likes' and 'dislikes' are all very off putting.

I tend towards humour for most of my trivia and people comment that they smiled/larf'd/ etc.  A thumbs up/down doesn't mean a great deal to me.

I notice that Acaie in a post above has got 4 (FOUR) dislikes because he agrees with a moderators action - as have others agreed with no dislikes.  What is going on.

Get rid of the thumbs as per Sideways and TSSC - they are happy bunnies.

Roger.

I have to say,

I am coming around to the same conclusion as Roger.

Seems to me, that there is nothing that a thumbs up or down, does that cannot be better

'Said,' in a reply. I certainly do not agree with a thumbs down without a name, think I have given two in total, and

both times I've said it was me, and why, think thats a much more grown up approach.

I'll see what the concencus is.

John.

I have note that when people have differences of opinion to a small but influential majority, they subsequently find the need to remove their post. 

On other threads others members have commented on this, the thumbs down gives them the Anonymous opportunity to Indicate their feelings regarding a specific post without being involved in a long debate or feeling intimidated at others, sometimes unpleasant response. Not everyone has a thick skin, but as members should still have a right to Indicate or register their approval or disapproval.

In some way thumbs down is more important than thumbs up, because it gives members the opportunity to look at their post to see why it could be considered offensive, and determine whether it could be amended.

I have posted and on reflection made amendments, mainly realising that it was being interpreted differently than intended.

The thumbs up and thumbs down perhaps gives those a voice that would not otherwise comment,  or have decided not to comment again because of unpleasant response of others. 

Why should we be threatened by anonymous response. I answer to Johns question I believe it should apply equally to all members including moderators.
M

Edited by Misfit
19 minutes ago, Derek Hurford said:

I have posted and on reflection made amendments, mainly realising that it was being interpreted differently than intended.

That is a very important point Derek. It is evident that sometimes the meaning and intended tone of posts can be badly mis-interpreted by some who read them. In conversation it is easier to emphasise meanings by body and facial language but you cannot always do that with mere words. 

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

I notice that Acaie in a post above has got 4 (FOUR) dislikes because he agrees with a moderators action - as have others agreed with no dislikes.  What is going on.

Perhaps Roger the thumbs down was not for açaie, but for Tim, the quote referring to the removal of subsequent posts, after Cameron removed his. On the bases that they could not indicate a response direct to Tim as a moderator can not get a like or dislike.

just a thought.

54 minutes ago, Derek Hurford said:

I have note that when people have differences of opinion to a small but influential majority, they subsequently find the need to remove their post. 

The thumbs up and thumbs down perhaps gives those a voice that would not otherwise comment,  or have decided not to comment again because of unpleasant response of others. 

Why should we be threatened by anonymous response. I answer to Johns question I believe it should apply equally to all members including moderators.
Derek

I mostly agree with Dereks opinion BUT I truly believe that the Thumbs up or down should NOT be anonymous and that we should be able to see if it is a laughing face , boggled eye face or heart etc not just a plus or minus. We should be told in the notification of one of these reactions who made the reaction, as we are when we receive a PM.

Openness is very important so confusion and intimidation is eliminated.

Just my opinion.:rolleyes:

These are the options we are able to choose from but not the result we see having received one ......??????

629A80A2-45AC-456C-84FF-FBF2191295CA.jpeg

Edited by SuzanneH
19 minutes ago, SuzanneH said:

I mostly agree with Dereks opinion BUT I truly believe that the Thumbs up or down should NOT be anonymous and that we should be able to see if it is a laughing face , boggled eye face or heart etc not just a plus or minus. We should be told in the notification of one of these reactions who made the reaction, as we are when we receive a PM.

Openness is very important so confusion and intimidation is eliminated.

Just my opinion.:rolleyes:

These are the options we are able to choose from but not the result we see having received one ......??????

629A80A2-45AC-456C-84FF-FBF2191295CA.jpeg

Nothing more open, than typing what you think, and then signing same.

John.