Accelerator pedal bushes

Hi all, 

Am doing a refurb on my TR6, have renewed the bushes for brake and clutch pedals, how in gods name are the other two done. They are a hard plastic type from Moss. Have tried boiling in a microwave for a few mins to soften them, have tried grease/wd40, in a vice with sockets for the bracket and with a bolt on the bulkhead. Apart from cutting a wedge out of them any ideas please.

Regards,

Vince.

Edited by DIYBOSSCAT
spelling

Vince,

I recommend to use the blue PU bushes. Make one radial cut (so not 2 halves), then it is fairly easy, no heating required with these temperatures.

If you have a PI: the sane bushes are used there, think in that case you need 5 in total.

Waldi

Hi Ed,

probably It is my lack of fantasy, but how did the technicians install them 50 years ago? They were a relatively hard nylon grade ( by the looks of it), that are very difficult to deform. The blue PU bushes go in easy.
Waldi

Waldi--

I'll confess that I've never seen a new factory type bush--only remnants of perished ones.  Even hard nylon will deform with enough force,  so maybe the factory had some sort of bespoke hydraulic contraption to force them into place.

IMO, almost any alternative is better than the factory bushes, either commercial or DIY.  By "better", I mean that it performs at least as well, but is easier to install.

Ed

Bin the nylon ones; whoever is making these has a sadistic sense of humor. If anyone has installed these intact I haven't heard of it.

TRF has a polyurethane version if you ask, and the lube/bolt/washer/nut and socket method pops them in to your very great satisfaction.

I think the factory ones were pretty soft; if they were half as hard as the urethane ones they'd still be serving the purpose 50 years later.

Tom

Thanks for all your replies,

after another couple of of hours last night I gave up and cut a wedge out and squeezed them in and then fitted the cut piece in. Looks ok - you can't see 'the join' and work ok.

Vince.

Hi 

I changed mine last year for blue poly type. The original i removed was a hard rubber material not nylon, so i imagine not too difficult to fit when new.

Alan

My old ones were a white-transparent white, nylon, sort off. And stiff, even to remove.

Waldi

Hi Waldi

This was mine from the accelerator shaft to pedal box unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the one that holds the shaft in the bulkhead & can't remember exactly . I'll have a look tomorrow  - its bound to be hiding in a dark corner somewhere as I'm incapable of throwing anything away. 

IMG_3683.jpg

On 7/21/2020 at 11:10 PM, super6al said:

Hi Waldi

- its bound to be hiding in a dark corner somewhere as I'm incapable of throwing anything away. 

IMG_3683.jpg

As a tight Yorkshireman, I can't fault you, it might come in useful sometime.

Prompted by this thread, I checked the new ones that I bought for my TR5 restoration and they seem very stiff so I approach installation with reticence - or look for something else.

Dave McD

On 7/25/2020 at 7:05 AM, Peter V W said:

Dave,

It can be done,

place in vice, get some fishing line, put some gloves on.

put fishing line into recess of bush, feed through hole and pull through.

Peter

I'm trying to visualise this. Is it similar to pulling the windscreen seal into place with a piece of string? Is there any problem with the fishing line cutting the bush?

57 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm trying to visualise this. Is it similar to pulling the windscreen seal into place with a piece of string? Is there any problem with the fishing line cutting the bush?

Hi John,

Yes, similar to windscreen seal. A drop of washing up liquid will help.

You are right it is possible to cut the bush, take your time, it does work.

Peter V W