Door striker cover

I have just completed fitting a pair of door mirrors and while the door panel was removed decided to check out the locks, winding mechanism etc. I had noticed a noise when I shut the door and the culprit appears to be the cover plate for the door striker cog (I have attached a pic of a cover). It would appear to be attached by a single rivet through the small hole (the larger hole locates the cog). There is movement on the small rivet and the assembly rattles and moves about a lot.

I am worried that the entire assembly falls apart and I lose the cog and /or cover plate.

Any suggestions?

Andy

cqpdlCb6QQa7Pq4JLLmTCQ_mini_b22f.jpg

If theres enough of the rivet stem still sticking through you could carefully peen it over more or failing that its going to need to come out and be re-riveted properly.

Stuart.

Hi Andy,

as per Stuarts reply.

These are no longer available new. You could ask on here if anybody has got decent one they would sell you.

Or if there is insufficient rivet to re-peen and you do not want to do a full repair then you could weld the remaining stub to the cover.

Also as you may have spotted the little gear wheel inside is supported on that larger hole. Assuming the hole is apprx the correct shape you could distort the hole with a centre pop to be a tighter fit.

Roger

Edited by RogerH
4 minutes ago, stuart said:

If theres enough of the rivet stem still sticking through you could carefully peen it over more or failing that its going to need to come out and be re-riveted properly.

Stuart.

I'm not sure whether it can be peened in situ. I was hoping not to have to remove the entire assembly

Andy

Hi Andy,

Early in the 1980s. I had the same problem, but lacking in funds, I tried using a cold chisel to lock the rivet, which worked for a year or so, but then worked loose. On that occasion I drilled the rivet using a 2mm drill, then used a small self tapper and washer to lock the housing in place. It stayed like that for approximately 8 years until I replaced the complete unit.

Good luck

TT