Power socket - Negative Earth

One point to consider is, all modern vehicle cigarette lighter sockets are hard wired into the vehicles electrical system and can provide quite a few amps output which  many 12v accessories like vacuum cleaners, electric Jack's and electric tyre inflators may need as they can easily take 4-8amps on startup. 

Therefore if fitting a lighter socket to a TR you need to decide what it will be, or could be used for and rate the wiring directly from the battery with an independent fuse if more than 3/4 amps are likely to be needed.

If however only a couple of items running off a USB converter are planned then linking to existing wiring should be OK with its own inline fuse of say 5amps. Personally I ran mine from a new take off from the  aftermarket battery isolator switch with a 5amp inline fuse thus avoiding any extra load on the original car circuits. 

Chris

20 hours ago, ChrisR-4A said:

One point to consider is, all modern vehicle cigarette lighter sockets are hard wired into the vehicles electrical system and can provide quite a few amps output which  many 12v accessories like vacuum cleaners, electric Jack's and electric tyre inflators may need as they can easily take 4-8amps on startup. 

Therefore if fitting a lighter socket to a TR you need to decide what it will be, or could be used for and rate the wiring directly from the battery with an independent fuse if more than 3/4 amps are likely to be needed.

If however only a couple of items running off a USB converter are planned then linking to existing wiring should be OK with its own inline fuse of say 5amps. Personally I ran mine from a new take off from the  aftermarket battery isolator switch with a 5amp inline fuse thus avoiding any extra load on the original car circuits. 

Chris

Thanks Chris

it is likely to be mainly used for my SatNav and charging my iPhone but occasionally though importantly for my small tyre inflator

Andy

Some time ago, and thinking out of the box, I fitted

two 12v cig lighter outlets, one ignition controlled

one direct, both fused, in the vertical kickplate behind the seats.

Anything on charge  sits atop the transmission tunnel, very convenient.

Was always going to make a pukka, lipped shelf for here but haven't yet go around to it.

John.

On 7/21/2020 at 11:38 AM, John Morrison said:

Some time ago, and thinking out of the box, I fitted

two 12v cig lighter outlets, one ignition controlled

one direct, both fused, in the vertical kickplate behind the seats.

Anything on charge  sits atop the transmission tunnel, very convenient.

Was always going to make a pukka, lipped shelf for here but haven't yet go around to it.

John.

My thoughts were to attach it using velcro under the glove box. I'm no further on as it is either raining or I'm driving it! Another 100 miles under the belt yesterday. Loving it

Andy