Hi all, 

anyone know anything about TIG weldersminded to dabble this winter, but for my aims something like a 180 amp would.  Now I know they are complex, but seems I could pay anything between £3 & 800, for similar spec machines.

Anyone have any pointers, do,s and Don,ts etrc.

John

Hi John, I bought a very cheap set years ago and found it tricky (as in v difficult) to get the arc going. In the end I gave up an now it just gets used as an arc welder. 

my advice would be to pay enough to get a unit that has an automatic start. 

there was an article on TIG welders in Practical Classics a few years back which was the basis for my selection. 

Rgds Ian

Edited by Ian Vincent

This seems like a good value setup and will weld pretty much anything as its DC and AC and it also has a foot pedal which is essential and its HF start so no need to strike an arc. TIG Welder

Stuart.

I would like to have a TIG welding machine too, but have a good Lincoln MIG/MAG machine, so less need for the little use I expect. But discussions like this always trigger me;)

I had a relative cheap copper winded MIG welder 30 years ago (still 600 guilders) it welded, sort off, and was very sensitive on not-super clean material.

The Lincoln works so much easier. It has the euro- connector, which is a good starting-point if you want to have a better product. Bought mine SH after I had tested it and was impressed.

I can imagine the same applies for TIG machines.

Waldi

Thanks guys,

Roger I know the r-tech stuff, indeed had a long chat with one of the guys on their stand at tha NEC last Nov.

But their cheapest, AC/DC machine, package is £300 more than the one Stuart quotes, and that's for only a 160amp welder as opposed to 200, so it's difficult to justify a grand, when I might not even master the job.

still asking around, thanks for the replies.

John.

I have a Kemppi Mastertig 2300 MLS AC/DC TIG welder which is super expensive (Over £3K) with all the bells and whistles. 

If you only want to weld steel then you only need DC.   HF start means no problem with starting the arc but good features are a pre and post gas ramp times.

TIG can give a stronger weld with a flatter finish but the metal has to be spotless so any corrosion not cleaned out will hamper good welds.

You do not need high amps with TIG.  On thin sheet 35 to 50 is good on the Kemppi but current control is superb.

I would try to find someone local to let you try welding with TIG before you purchase.

Neil

Sorry to jump in here but I have to ask.

For car bodywork which TIG v MIG would give the best results? 

Reason I ask is after a lot of practice I've had good results with a basic gas MIG but with other projects awaiting in the coming years is it worth spending some decent money and time to learn how to use a TIG.

Andy

Well yes. Andy, the 64,000 $ question, and one I have asked myself.

Truth is I got really very good with MIG, and I can,t remember a job that beat me, but in comparison to good TIG, it is crude, harsher, with a lot more grinding back or sanding. TIG is a softer weld that can be planished, if you get. Good enough almost to nothing, like the old days of panel beating and gas.

Still toying with the thought.

John

If you can get the hang of it then  a TIG is great, two panels of clean steel edge to edge can be welded together just by teasing one into the other without even a filler rod. They do reckon with a plasma cutter and a TIG you could cut a section out of a sheet and then weld it back in with no distortion but youve got to be a bit good at it. One drawback with a TIG is you do use more welding gas as you need the pre and post gas to get a clean weld as you`ll find it`ll go rusty as a handcart straight away otherwise.

Stuart.

12 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Thanks guys,

Roger I know the r-tech stuff, indeed had a long chat with one of the guys on their stand at tha NEC last Nov.

But their cheapest, AC/DC machine, package is £300 more than the one Stuart quotes, and that's for only a 160amp welder as opposed to 200, so it's difficult to justify a grand, when I might not even master the job.

still asking around, thanks for the replies.

John.

Hi John,

what price list have you been looking at  https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/welding-equipment/tig-welder/

They start at £360 and then head north.  Stuarts welder was from Poland so OK it is cheaper but when it cons out :o  I know which I would have.

Roger

TiG has a lot more to know about and adjust than gas (two flow controls) or MiG (one gas flow, one wire flow and one intensity setting).   Things like starting, pulse, slope,  duty cycle, etc. as well!     Years ago, having some Mig experience, I did a Saturday course at the local College of Knowledge.     It was rubbish, except for getting your hands on good equipment and lots of practice.     Little instruction , no supervision, just get on with it.      I learnt nothing, but I was a better welder for the practice.

Anyone had a better experience on a TiG course.    Especially in the North West?

https://www.stahlwerk-schweissgeraete.de/AC-DC-TIG-200-PLASMA-ST-IGBT

This is the one I bought with foot pedal and pulse weld. Takes a lot of trial and error to get the setting you need but results are very neat.

As Stuart says they are greedy on gas but once you get the hang of it you wonder why you didn't get one before.

I also have a 120 Mig on the same trolley so belt and braces. gas bottle refills are not that expensive using the one off bottle payment and just refill charges thereafter.

Rods

Sorry to hi jack but it is related. 
I inherited a mig with a large co2 Trent brewery gas bottle- can these be refilled ?

where do you get weld gas from ?

Hi Hamish,

I think you might have a problem if the cylinder contained e.g Co2 for beer. also the bottles have a test date that is needed for commercial refill if out of date no refill.

The only way I have done this in the past was to get a sympathetic welding shop to decant into your cylinder. but you only get a  balanced amount between the two cylinder. so you will no doubt pay at least half the cost of a full one.

Hobbyweld is a good ALTERNATIVE.

Rod

Edited by Rodbr

Hamish, my first welder ran CO2, it was never really much use, you could stick stuff together but looked poor

Got at the timer BOC 5% Argon to say the difference was marked would be a total understatement just no comparison.

Bite the bullet, there are a number of hobby weld hobby gas type suppliers now, ALL will be so much better than CO2.

John.

Also not only do you get a poorish lumpy weld with CO2, but it turns into a carbon steel with is much harder to grind off, and probably more brittle. Fully agree with others to pay a little bit more and rent or whatever a big cylinder of argoshield or similar 

However I do use CO2 cylinders to flood box sections with an inert gas when they have been treated with waxoyl or the like and you have to do some welding to prevent an inferno starting on the box section - firstly tape/block up as many openings/holes as possible.

Has worked for me!

Cheers Rich

4 hours ago, Hamish said:

Sorry to hi jack but it is related. 
I inherited a mig with a large co2 Trent brewery gas bottle- can these be refilled ?

where do you get weld gas from ?

Probably too distant for you Hamish. 

Down south we use Adams Gas - My 10 litre rent free argon/oxygen bottles were £65 each to buy (refundable on return) plus the refill at about £40.00 each.  Collected from Aldershot.

https://www.adamsgas.co.uk/stockists/?postcode=M&filter_category=all&filter_product=

https://www.adamsgas.co.uk/product-category/hobby-welding-gas/

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Thanks All for the pointers  

Edited by Hamish
On 18 July 2020 at 10:09 AM, RogerH said:

Hi John,

what price list have you been looking at  https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/welding-equipment/tig-welder/

They start at £360 and then head north.  Stuarts welder was from Poland so OK it is cheaper but when it cons out :o  I know which I would have.

Roger

Hi Roger, 

r-tech first AC/DC is 160 amp, at £960ish.  

So well over a. Grand with peripherals, not sure I can justify that on maybe getting proficient.

Then of course, will L get half as good with half as equipment?

Need to try my hand, and take things from there.

John.