Slight chassis rattle

I’m in the market for a TR6 and test drove a great car the other day.  The car has been well cared for and maintained.   Koni shocks.  The chassis had a slight rattle to it over bumps.  Nothing too horrid, but would be enough to annoy me.  I think it was the door window glass rattling within the doors.  (The roof was down).   I like the feel of a taut chassis.  Am I expecting too much?  I know it’s very hard to quantify, but is this something that can be rectified without too much difficulty, please?

Thank you 

Edited by GeoffreyS

Its a TR, its always going to rattle somewhere!

If it is the window glass rattling it is likely the lining of the window channels is worn out, a good sign is the glass getting scratched where it runs up and down the channels. Mine has been like this for the last 28 years. I can't remember if I ever fitted new linings as I think the only ones you could get back then were ****.

Neil

Hi Geoff, if you aren’t keen on rattles, go for a Boxter, the TR is a car that will always trouble you, but that’s part of the fun. I’d be more wary of rust, uneven panel gaps and engine issue than rattles.

Yup same here I get rattles in the doors, so I just drive ir harder and that straight six exhaust note soon drowns it out. Job done

28 minutes ago, Sill Gap Problem said:

Hi Geoff, if you aren’t keen on rattles, go for a Boxter, the TR is a car that will always trouble you, but that’s part of the fun. I’d be more wary of rust, uneven panel gaps and engine issue than rattles.

+1

My TR6 almost always has at least one rattle going on.  Chase it down, fix it, and another soon starts. By contrast,  my BMW Z3 doesn't rattle, in fact doesn't misbehave at all. I enjoy them both, the TR6 for its character and the Z3 for simply doing its grand tourer thing so dependably. 

Nigel

Mine is newly re-built about 1500 miles ago...... and it rattles like a rattly thing. Door innards are a big culprit. All renewed with new seals, new foam, velcro in the liners, everything I can think of tight, felt between all the touching surfaces eg where the bottom channel stay touches the middle bracket and wraps around the channels each side and it still rattles over every bump. Latest suspect is the door handle itself which has an adjustable bolt mechanism to actuate the catch. The bolt has a lock nut but it's impossible to actually lock down so after a few miles it starts to rattle again. Also get lots of groans and moans from behind the dash even though everything is tightened down and all the stays are in place. Inevitable really I suppose given that its basically lots of different materials screwed together (wood, steel, plastic, ) and the body flexes so much.

As everyone says though, it's definitely part of the charm.

My TR6 rattles more than my TR2s. There is something to be said for not having windows and door handles.

On 7/15/2020 at 10:00 PM, Stagpowered said:

If it is the window glass rattling it is likely the lining of the window channels is worn out, a good sign is the glass getting scratched where it runs up and down the channels. Mine has been like this for the last 28 years. I can't remember if I ever fitted new linings as I think the only ones you could get back then were ****.

Neil

On 7/15/2020 at 10:00 PM, Stagpowered said:

Neil

Thanks, Neil.  

On 7/15/2020 at 10:09 PM, Sill Gap Problem said:

Thank you.  You make good points.  

On 7/15/2020 at 10:43 PM, Nigel Triumph said:

+1

My TR6 almost always has at least one rattle going on.  Chase it down, fix it, and another soon starts. By contrast,  my BMW Z3 doesn't rattle, in fact doesn't misbehave at all. I enjoy them both, the TR6 for its character and the Z3 for simply doing its grand tourer thing so dependably. 

Nigel

Thanks, Nigel.  TR6s have character by the bucketful.  

13 hours ago, SeanF said:

Mine is newly re-built about 1500 miles ago...... and it rattles like a rattly thing. Door innards are a big culprit. All renewed with new seals, new foam, velcro in the liners, everything I can think of tight, felt between all the touching surfaces eg where the bottom channel stay touches the middle bracket and wraps around the channels each side and it still rattles over every bump. Latest suspect is the door handle itself which has an adjustable bolt mechanism to actuate the catch. The bolt has a lock nut but it's impossible to actually lock down so after a few miles it starts to rattle again. Also get lots of groans and moans from behind the dash even though everything is tightened down and all the stays are in place. Inevitable really I suppose given that its basically lots of different materials screwed together (wood, steel, plastic, ) and the body flexes so much.

As everyone says though, it's definitely part of the charm.

Hello Sean,

I reckon I’ll be like you, trying all manners of things.  I think I’m driving the vendor mad.  Except he already thinks I’m mad.   I suppose the rattle is always outweighed by the absolute beauty of the car.  

Edited by GeoffreyS

In my ground up, body off restoration, I had an eye on potential rattle spots at every stage.  I can say that the car is now really pretty rattle free. The only rattles left are the fuel filler cap, the push buttons on the outside door handles, and the middle of the door cards slapping the doors.

Ed

My TR6 is almost rattle free, I have spent a lot of time over the years tracking down random squeaks and rattles starting with the loudest then when that was fixed I could hear the next one and so on, most have been in the doors. Thinking about it there are probably a few left but I am to deaf to notice. Last year I  had the passenger door cards off looking for a rattle with not much luck only to find a tin of mints my wife had left in the door pocket!.

George

6 hours ago, ed_h said:

In my ground up, body off restoration, I had an eye on potential rattle spots at every stage.  I can say that the car is now really pretty rattle free. The only rattles left are the fuel filler cap, the push buttons on the outside door handles, and the middle of the door cards slapping the doors.

Ed

Well done.  That’s an achievement.   You must be delighted.  

1 hour ago, harlequin said:

My TR6 is almost rattle free, I have spent a lot of time over the years tracking down random squeaks and rattles starting with the loudest then when that was fixed I could hear the next one and so on, most have been in the doors. Thinking about it there are probably a few left but I am to deaf to notice. Last year I  had the passenger door cards off looking for a rattle with not much luck only to find a tin of mints my wife had left in the door pocket!.

George

Hello George,

That’s funny and also encouraging.  I’m glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t like rattles.  

Geoffrey

The most persistent and annoying rattle on my car I tracked down to be the slider of the tonneau zip, which is right by my ear .  Knowing what the sound is caused by I now ignore it and enjoy the drive instead.

Peter W

12 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

The most persistent and annoying rattle on my car I tracked down to be the slider of the tonneau zip, which is right by my ear .  Knowing what the sound is caused by I now ignore it and enjoy the drive instead.

Peter W

Hello Peter,

That makes sense.  Knowing the cause of something in life (not just a rattle) often takes away one’s concern.  

thanks.  
Geoffrey

48 minutes ago, John L said:

If it has the Koni adjustable shocks, they may be set a little on the hard side, so there could be room for softening them perhaps.

John

On a similar note new tyres helped make things smoother an quieter on both of my TRs

George