I’m finding “debris” in the fuel pump glass bowl, so assume the fuel tank is showing signs of wear. It’s the original tank and sender unit etc.
I’m planning to change the tank for a new one, probably steel. Should I also change the sender unit while I’m there? Are the ones available as good as original? Any other advice please?

Thanks

John

I have done several corroded tanks with slosh sealer on various Triumphs which has always had good results and has been much cheaper than a replacement tank. Also don't need to worry about buying a sub standard replacement.

I replaced a sender unit a few years ago as the original one plummeted to empty in about 10 miles from quarter full, but there was still a couple of gallons in the tank. It did that for about 15 years.

The replacement one goes to half in about 50 miles and reads empty with only 6 gallons used. Personally I would stick with the original

Neil

Edited by Stagpowered
extra info
15 minutes ago, Stagpowered said:

I have done several corroded tanks with slosh sealer on various Triumphs which has always had good results and has been much cheaper than a replacement tank. 

I've also had a good result using POR-15 slosh sealer from Frost, in the tank of my Scimitar GTE. The key is to prepare exactly as per the instructions, using the POR-15 cleaner and rust treatment before the slosh sealer.

However, others may offer differing opinions.

Nigel

In 1997, I suffered the shedding of small particles from the tank, so treated it with Slosh Tank Sealant from Moss.  I described the process in TR Action 144, and it appears also in Section K3 of the Technicalities CD.  The process was a single treatment step then, but I believe there are 3 stages now.

After more than 22 years, I'm glad to report that the slosh is still doing its job.

Ian Cornish

The Moss slosh lasted 15 years in my tank before the fuel in the pump bowl went brownish and my  in line  filter  cluttering with debris.  Treating the tank and applying the Moss was simple enough -  just tedious. It may be different now but mostly I remember the fumes from the sealant were quite noxious. You must use in open air.

Mike

On 7/15/2020 at 9:37 PM, Stagpowered said:

I have done several corroded tanks with slosh sealer on various Triumphs which has always had good results and has been much cheaper than a replacement tank. Also don't need to worry about buying a sub standard replacement.

I replaced a sender unit a few years ago as the original one plummeted to empty in about 10 miles from quarter full, but there was still a couple of gallons in the tank. It did that for about 15 years.

The replacement one goes to half in about 50 miles and reads empty with only 6 gallons used. Personally I would stick with the original

Neil

I had this fuel gauge  problem myself and only solved it by having the gauge and the sender matched together in the workshop.  There is a forum expert in leatherhead who can do this for you. Never mind the new parts which can cause you a lot of problems.

Good luck Richard & B.

9 hours ago, Richardtr3a said:

I had this fuel gauge  problem myself and only solved it by having the gauge and the sender matched together in the workshop.  There is a forum expert in leatherhead who can do this for you. Never mind the new parts which can cause you a lot of problems.

Good luck Richard & B.

Alternatively, go on the mgaguru” Web site and there are instructions on how to calibrate the sender to the gauge. 

Rgds Ian

I must warn that it is very easy to wreck these gauges when attempting to adjust the coil positions, they must not be allowed to twist after slackening the clamping nuts.

Bob.