windscreen to body seal

Okay Chaps, question time.....

How the hell do you get a new rubber seal into the groove along the bottom of the windscreen frame?

I guess there must be a way, but it does not seem easy!!

Before you ask, I have tried searching it on the forum, but am unable to find an answer and I did know it was going to be difficult before I started.

Very grateful for any help, even new original swearwords would be good.

Thanks

Clive

Hi clive,

Get some KY jelly and liberally  coat all sides of the seal and also the channel. 

Soak the replacement rubber in hot water to get it pliable.

Ease the rubber under a stretching movement and ease it along the channel. It will take some time and liberal re-coating of the items.. Once you have it all along the length make sure you have an equal length at each side. Then WALK away for at least a couple of days even longer if possible. It will shrink back and if it does you will have hells own delight getting it moving again. Also have round ended tools to help ease things along. Nothing with a sharp edge or pointy ended it will cut it for fun.

Make sure that you fit it the right way round or it won't seal and you will have to do it all over again.. It fits the opposite way to the way it looks.

Same same goes for the top rail and do not cut off till it shrinks back. If you do not do this it will shrink back and leave it short FOR EVER.

I would not use silicon grease due to the difficulty in removing the excess grease and it gets unto the paint and everywhere else and looks a mess. Silicon is the devil to remove.

KY jelly is water soluble and easy to remove, easy to buy from Tesco, online etc.

Rod

Forget all that twaddle, Ive done loads of these, first make sure you have it the right way round as the seal should lean towards the rear of the car so when you have it fitted it pulls down tight on the scuttle. Just look at it end on and you`ll see what I mean. Then lay it along the screen bottom and starting in the middle get one side of the "T" into the channel and then with a blunt 1/4" wide screwdriver ease the other side of the "T" into the channel and just work your way along swapping from side to side until you get to the end then leave it for a day or two to relax and then stretch it at each end to fit the retaining plates into the bottom of the stanchions and then trim excess to suit.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
23 minutes ago, stuart said:

...first make sure you have it the right way round as the seal should lean towards the rear of the car so when you have it fitted it pulls down tight on the scuttle. Just look at it end on and you`ll see what I mean.

+1

...and I got it the wrong way around first time

Yep, get it the right way round, back edge into the channell, fairy liquid the lot and roll the back of a table knife along the exposed edge.  Did mine in 20mins., did not shrink or stretch fantastic.

On 7/15/2020 at 6:08 PM, TR4ffic said:

+1

...and I got it the wrong way around first time

. . . been there!

:unsure:

Phil