On 8/29/2020 at 8:31 AM, Ralph Whitaker said:

No body number was recorded in the factory records (according to Heritage Certificate), so I assume the factory did not place much importance on it, probably just used for internal reference until the commission no had been allocated.

Ralph this is not correct for my car, the body number is clearly referred to on the Heritage Certificate and the Standard Register supplied by Bill P  and now Mike Ellis. The number not recorded was the EB number.

Iain

2 hours ago, iain said:

Ralph this is not correct for my car, the body number is clearly referred to on the Heritage Certificate and the Standard Register supplied by Bill P  and now Mike Ellis. The number not recorded was the EB number.

Iain

Ditto.

Rgds Ian

13 hours ago, iain said:

Iain

I believe the records for the later TR3a are not complete, which might be why on my Heritage certificate it states "not recorded" for the body number.

Ralph.

6 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

I believe the records for the later TR3a are not complete, which might be why on my Heritage certificate it states "not recorded" for the body number.

Ralph.

My Heritage cert. also said "Not Recorded"  However, Mike Ellis's report from the Standard Register had the bod shell number and the exact date the car came off the production line.  Money well spent.

17 hours ago, David Owen said:

My Heritage cert. also said "Not Recorded"  However, Mike Ellis's report from the Standard Register had the bod shell number and the exact date the car came off the production line.  Money well spent.

I think I should contact Mike Ellis and get another cert from him. The Heritage cert has put my car as a January 1961 based purely on the despatch date of 30th Jan. Next to build date it says also "not recorded".

I am fairly certain from other cars commission numbers I have seen that it is a 1960 car.

I have yet to register the car, so may as well get all the info I can before applying.

How can I contact Mike Ellis ?

Ralph.

Edited by Ralph Whitaker
Additional paragraph.
1 hour ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

I think I should contact Mike Ellis and get another cert from him. The Heritage cert has put my car as a January 1961 based purely on the despatch date of 30th Jan. Next to build date it says also "not recorded".

I am fairly certain from other cars commission numbers I have seen that it is a 1960 car.

I have yet to register the car, so may as well get all the info I can before applying.

Ralph.

Mikes details are in TRaction normally around page 3 , under Factory Trace service or something like that:D

Iain

7 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Ralph.

I see the details are provided already to contact Mike. FYI my Heritage Cert. had a date of production of "April 1960".  Mike's info came back with March 24th, 1960 from the Standard Register.

Am I the only one who gets the impression that Heritage Certificates are not worth the (very expensive) paper on which they are produced.

Owners of sidescreen cars are fortunate that Bill Piggott and now Mike Ellis have access to accurate records.  Those of us with TR4s onwards just have to hope that staff at Gaydon transcribe information accurately!

Ian Cornish

Ian ,You just beat me to it!

I’ve thought for a while about getting a Heritage Certificate for my 3A, but always felt that £50.00 or so was a lot of money for a piece of paper.

Reading what David just said makes me wonder how accurate the bits of paper are.
If one source says “April” and another says “May 24” for the same car I do now wonder if they just guess at the information.

Charlie.

27 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

Ian ,You just beat me to it!

I’ve thought for a while about getting a Heritage Certificate for my 3A, but always felt that £50.00 or so was a lot of money for a piece of paper.

Reading what David just said makes me wonder how accurate the bits of paper are.
If one source says “April” and another says “May 24” for the same car I do now wonder if they just guess at the information.

Charlie.

The reason I paid for the Heritage Certificate is the Ontario registration system requires it in order for me to change the official registration date on my TR3A.  It is registered as a 1962 which was it's in service date.  It came off the line in 1960.  I would like it registered as a 1960.  I thought this might be useful info.

Also, there was a marginal difference in production date from "April 1960" to March 24th, 1960.  I think the museum is using some sort of algorithm (educated guess) to figure out dates.

Edited by David Owen
14 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Ralph.

Ralph, you have a PM

Mike

The reason I got a Heritage certificate was that the American (californian) Title listed the cars year of manufacture as 1955 !!, and the import documents were based on this. I did not want any confusion when it came to registering so insisted that the build date was clarified before I bought the car, so the vendor obtained the Heritage cert and sent this to Customs and obtained a letter listing the commission no stating that all duties were paid.

Ralph.

On 8/30/2020 at 11:10 AM, John McCormack said:

I believe the EB was fixed by Mulliners and is therefore painted with the body. 

For my (very original, matching nos.) car +1 for that.

When I cleaned the two brass tags I could see the dark red first coat under the pearl white (with another overspray in a slightly different white) on the EB tag. See pic. The body no. was not painted originally and is more corroded.

My opinion: Mulliners built the body, fitted the EB tag, than painted the body. Body was delivered to Standard, Coventry, where the body was controlled and than marked with the body shell no. After the car was finished the car got it's TS ##### no. and the body shell no. was recorded in the production records under the TS ##### no., together with colour, engine no. etc.

My EB lies a few nos. under the TS. Because of the 2000 or so gap in the TS 40000-50000s the EBs over TS 50000 will be under the TS nos.

BTW: Got the extract from the production records (thank you very much, Mike Ellis!). This extract shows the body shell no., but the Heritage Certificate from Gaydon doesn't. But Certificate has the engine no., which the extract hasn't.

So if some information is missing it might be good to check both sources ;)

EB tag.jpg

Edited by Black Forest TR3A
the EBs over TS 50000 will be "under" the TS nos