37 minutes ago, Rushboyz said:

Is it possible to get an EB plate made based off of the Commission plate number? 

No The EB number is the Mulliners body number and theres no available records of them.

Stuart.

The build records usually have the body number (the plate below the EB plate) but to my knowledge there are no records of the EB plate. It should however be close to the commission number if you want to just make up a number. I was fortunate that the body number plate was missing (along with most of the battery box) but the EB plate was still attached. Bill Piggott got me the missing body number detail.

Stan

19 hours ago, foster461 said:

The build records usually have the body number (the plate below the EB plate) but to my knowledge there are no records of the EB plate. It should however be close to the commission number if you want to just make up a number. I was fortunate that the body number plate was missing (along with most of the battery box) but the EB plate was still attached. Bill Piggott got me the missing body number detail.

Stan

Thanks Stan, do you know of any place that is able to reproduce these tags? 

1 hour ago, Rushboyz said:

Yes, Nick Raistrick of TR Lincs has the correct pattern stamping machine and can produce original looking tags. If you want his telephone number send me PM and I’ll forward it to you.

Chris

3 hours ago, Rushboyz said:

Where are you located ?. There are a couple of options for repro brass plates in the US and the UK.

Welcome to the forum btw, always happy to see another sidescreen car getting a new lease on life.

Stan

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2020 at 5:18 PM, stuart said:

No The EB number is the Mulliners body number and theres no available records of them.

Stuart.

While there are no records it should be possible to make an educated guess at the number from Body number or TS number.

Rgds Ian

13 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

While there are no records it should be possible to make an educated guess at the number from Body number or TS number.

Rgds Ian

True but it would be only a guess.

Stuart.

On 7/15/2020 at 7:17 PM, cjstoodley said:

Yes, Nick Raistrick of TR Lincs has the correct pattern stamping machine and can produce original looking tags. If you want his telephone number send me PM and I’ll forward it to you.

Chris

Nick's the man, like Chris says, he imported the machine from the States, and makes perfect reproductions from he right type of Brass, with the Correct Font.

Conrad.

To give you some idea, my late 60 3a has an EB number 1987 lower than the commission number, and these were the original plates still in situ on the American import when I bought it.

Also had engine no 278 lower than commission number.

No body number was recorded in the factory records (according to Heritage Certificate), so I assume the factory did not place much importance on it, probably just used for internal reference until the commission no had been allocated.

Ralph.

How do you suppose the system worked at the factory?. I am imagining that the commission number would be the last item screwed (or riveted) on to the car as it left the factory and details entered into the records. That might account for the discrepancy in the numbers, with cars sent back for rectification or alteration for a particular order.

Ralph.

4 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

To give you some idea, my late 60 3a has an EB number 1987 lower than the commission number, and these were the original plates still in situ on the American import when I bought it.

No body number was recorded in the factory records (according to Heritage Certificate), so I assume the factory did not place much importance on it, probably just used for internal reference until the commission no had been allocated.

Ralph.

The service offered via Mike Ellis will yield a missing body number if you have the commission number. 

Stan

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 2:59 PM, foster461 said:

Where are you located ?. There are a couple of options for repro brass plates in the US and the UK.

Welcome to the forum btw, always happy to see another sidescreen car getting a new lease on life.

Stan

Thanks for the welcome Stan.

To the best of my knowledge the sequence of only the first TR2 EB numbers say first 500 or so, were sequential or close to but as manufacture numbers ramped up the number of shells used become to be out of sequence, so  a leap of faith would be required to get even an approximate number on later cars.

I would be tempted to also stamp on the back of the plate that it is fake or guess to avoid mistakenly duplicating the EB RELATING TO A NUMBER OF ANOTHER CAR 

FWIW the Body number seems to have been painted and the EB (engineering build , specification list)number plate was unpainted brass finished both screwed to bulkhead with slotted flathead screws.

Rod

Edited by Rodbr
On 7/15/2020 at 8:05 AM, foster461 said:

Stan

This might give an idea of the EB number.

My TS3732O Comm No is EB3892, 160 higher.

My TS5038O Comm No is EB5396, 358 higher.

Both cars have their original plates.

The difference between the Comm and engine numbers increases as they were produced. Maybe the same with EB numbers.

If someone has a car close to yours the difference between the Comm and EB should be pretty close.

1 hour ago, John McCormack said:

This might give an idea of the EB number.

My TS3732O Comm No is EB3892, 160 higher.

My TS5038O Comm No is EB5396, 358 higher.

Both cars have their original plates.

The difference between the Comm and engine numbers increases as they were produced. Maybe the same with EB numbers.

If someone has a car close to yours the difference between the Comm and EB should be pretty close.

I assume therefore that the "O" at the end of each of your numbers is denoting overdrive.

Interesting that the EB no is higher on both of your cars, with an apparently increasing gap whereas on my later car (TS81866) the EB no is lower, however according to Bill Piggott, there was a batch of commission numbers unused between 47956 and 50000 which may account for the difference.

My brass tags appear to be original (see pic) and the body number seems to be approximately right for the year, but both seem to be overpainted. I cannot remember now if when I took them off there was paint underneath which would indicate whether they were applied by Mulliners or fitted afterwards by Triumph.

Would be interesting to get a comparison with other cars around the same commision no.

Ralph.

PS, you got to admire the fibreglass battery box. Wouldn`t have wanted to hit a bump with that, could have ended up with the battery resting on the gearbox cover.

20180330_155954.jpg

Edited by Ralph Whitaker
Additional thoughts

I believe the EB was fixed by Mulliners and is therefore painted with the body. 

On 8/29/2020 at 8:31 AM, Ralph Whitaker said:

Ralph.

Ralph,

I might be barking up the wrong tree here, but weren't the engine numbers generally higher than the comm numbers, due

to engines supplies being  made available to other users such as Morgan, Swallow ect?

Roger M-E

Edited by roger murray-evans
forget to sign
16 hours ago, roger murray-evans said:

Ralph,

I might be barking up the wrong tree here, but weren't the engine numbers generally higher than the comm numbers, due

to engines supplies being  made available to other users such as Morgan, Swallow ect?

Roger M-E

I have the Heritage build sheet for the car which shows the engine no as 81588 and the commision no as 81866. Don`t ask me why, but that is what the records show.

Ralph