Clicking Driveshaft at low speed

I’m after a bit of advice, since taking my diff in and out for a rebuild I have what appears to be a clicking driveshaft at low speed 0-10mph, after this speed it clears up and goes silent – I’ve got a video but haven’t worked out how to share It on here.

I don’t remember it doing this before the diff came out and its quite noticeable, is there anything that could have happened that could cause this or me putting it back onto the diff incorrectly? I see the Haynes manual said to tie them together which I didn’t do and the spines may have moved about a bit getting the dampers off for rebuild etc

Cheers

Dan

1 minute ago, Tom Fremont said:

New U-Js? Off brand ones aren't tight against the cups; a few thou is all it takes for them to bang back and forth especially on overrun at low speed.

GMB are good, as are GWB if you can find them. Others can chime in too.

Tom

no nothing new on the driveshafts at all, only the diff and I didn't hear it before.

Could be the UJ's and splines working into their new locations? I've never have this happen but I punch location marks on UJ's and shafts before dismantling them.

Have you jacked up  the wheels and checked for free play/noise? 

7 hours ago, Mike C said:

Could be the UJ's and splines working into their new locations? I've never have this happen but I punch location marks on UJ's and shafts before dismantling them.

Have you jacked up  the wheels and checked for free play/noise? 

I don't remember them coming completely apart, but when welding in the diff strengthening kit they did get moved around a bit.

I have been under the car with it  running slowly and i'm 90% its coming from the drivers side driveshaft.

When you say free play, you mean grabbing the diff output flange and trying to twist the driveshaft to see if it has play? 

32 minutes ago, DanTR6 said:

I don't remember them coming completely apart, but when welding in the diff strengthening kit they did get moved around a bit.

I have been under the car with it  running slowly and i'm 90% its coming from the drivers side driveshaft.

When you say free play, you mean grabbing the diff output flange and trying to twist the driveshaft to see if it has play? 

No, chock the front wheels,  jack up the car and rock the suspect  rear wheel back and forth. In gear the wheel should only move a little but listen for any loose or broken parts . Out of gear you should be  rotate the wheel fully but you may hear something as the wheel passes a particular point in its rotation- that could indicate something is misaligned.

2 minutes ago, Mike C said:

No, chock the front wheels,  jack up the car and rock the suspect  rear wheel back and forth. In gear the wheel should only move a little but listen for any loose or broken parts . Out of gear you should be  rotate the wheel fully but you may hear something as the wheel passes a particular point in its rotation- that could indicate something is misaligned.

I will give it a go, no gearbox anymore - its electric so will have to try and jam something in the prop.

What could be misaligned? I'm assuming its just a simple sliding joint, so as long as the joints are phased properly as they aren't constant velocity it should be good to go? 

1 hour ago, DanTR6 said:

I will give it a go, no gearbox anymore - its electric so will have to try and jam something in the prop.

What could be misaligned? I'm assuming its just a simple sliding joint, so as long as the joints are phased properly as they aren't constant velocity it should be good to go? 

I don't know what is misaligned , if anything. These are the first and simplest steps I'd take if I thought I had a driveshaft problem. Are you sure the noise is not normal operation previously masked by a noisy diff? I can't hear my driveshafts operate but I have Datsun half shafts and my hearing is not the best.

2 hours ago, Mike C said:

I don't know what is misaligned , if anything. These are the first and simplest steps I'd take if I thought I had a driveshaft problem. Are you sure the noise is not normal operation previously masked by a noisy diff? I can't hear my driveshafts operate but I have Datsun half shafts and my hearing is not the best.

Strangely the diff only came out for change of crown-wheel, but you can hear this when pushing it up the drive above a certain speed.

I've discounted the driveshaft and you can feel play in it, almost feels like play in the spines, difficult to tell and im not sure how much play is usually allowable.