Got a cheap HVLP spray gun it’s one of the ‘mini’ guns it’s worked fine for ages, used it to spray the dashboard and 2 sets of seats just fine. Always kept it clean etc. Just gone to use it and it NFW ! If I put my finger over the vent hole in the paint reservoir then begrudgingly It spring into life but it dribbles. Given the massive investment this gun was (about a tenner) I suspect it will be in the bin tomorrow but just curious as to what’s wrong with it  

Graham,

I also have a really good HVLP mini gun (maybe the same chinese make bought from Stoneleigh). It did the same thing. Paint spurting from the cup vent hole. It now still is a good spray gun.

I found that it needed cleaning better than I first did it. Not just the main fluid nozzle but also item 3, Nozzle Gasket (four holes) and the route the air takes to it via the pattern adjusting screw and onto the Air cap. Hole in gun at 5 o'clock. Pour thinners down into it and let it soak and wiggle the pattern adjusting knob.

Best of luck with the cleaning and painting.

David B

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1463 copy.jpg

Hi Graham,

I echo David's comments. You may get away with the odd dodgy wash but it does need to be clean.  As soon after spraying the better.

If you use two pack paint and allow it to dry it may be too late.

Also there is a very very small nylon washer with a curved face. it needs to sit correctly   Item 6 in David's drawing. The curve faces forwards - flat face on the spring.

Roger

30 minutes ago, David B2 said:

Graham,

I also have a really good HVLP mini gun (maybe the same chinese make bought from Stoneleigh). It did the same thing. Paint spurting from the cup vent hole. It now still is a good spray gun.

I found that it needed cleaning better than I first did it. Not just the main fluid nozzle but also item 3, Nozzle Gasket (four holes) and the route the air takes to it via the pattern adjusting screw and onto the Air cap. Hole in gun at 5 o'clock. Pour thinners down into it and let it soak and wiggle the pattern adjusting knob.

Best of luck with the cleaning and painting.

David B

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1463 copy.jpg

21 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Graham,

I echo David's comments. You may get away with the odd dodgy wash but it does need to be clean.  As soon after spraying the better.

If you use two pack paint and allow it to dry it may be too late.

Also there is a very very small nylon washer with a curved face. it needs to sit correctly   Item 6 in David's drawing. The curve faces forwards - flat face on the spring.

Roger

Thanks chaps just had a look at my gun and I don’t have a part 4 and behind 5 I have a leather washer a rubber  O ring and a further leather washer but to be honest until you replied I didn’t even know they were there ( a car painter I Ain’t !) but pulled them all out and given them a clean all back together will try a drop of thinners through it in the morning , bit late to run the compressor especially as it’s in a shed that leans against a neighbours house :ph34r: