Engine Number TR2/TR3

I did not investigate on the engine origine of my TR unless I found out, that the pair of air filters ordered (SU H4 spec) did not fit :huh:

Well, they couldn't,  as I do have SU H6 carbs installed :rolleyes: - (sometime it really hurts to be a newby)

All right - Long Story short - I do have a TR 3 engine with correct H6 carbs fitted and can enjoy some extra hp.

Nevertheless, the engine no confuses me: CT 16390

Any idea where the CT Comes from and what year and spec I can deviate ?

Do H6 carbs always go along with high port heads ?

Lessons appreciated...

Cheers

Oliver

The Wise  Ones will tell you all you need to know. While you are waiting, I can tell you TS prefixes are for sidescreen cars. CT signifies a TR4, as far as I can remember. That's not a bad thing.

Yes as stated above CT is the prefix for a TR4 engine (or just the cylinder block) - Perhaps the engine is TR4 so 86 mm (2138cc) bore (std for TR4) not 83mm (1991cc) as original.  The cylinder block is interchangeable from TR2-TR4A.  To make the TR4 engine fit the TR2/3 you would need to change the front engine mounting plate.  There are other issues but that is what enables its fitment of a wind-up-window car engine in the side-screen car chassis.

H6 carbs are not always fitted to high port heads. Think low port TR3. up to engine no. TS13052 - after that all high ports.

If you want.....Let us have a photo of the carbs and manifolds under the bonnet of your car and we can try to identify for you.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

This is efficient and all digital tuning. Without touching a wrench, this forum is capable to increase the hp by 5 and the engine volume by 200 ccm

From your photo it looks like there is a flat machined on the head above no 1 inlet port.   If so that is a head for 86 mm use on TR4A

Good reading here. http://tr3a.info/FAQ_heads.htm

cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Oliver

this is the flat ( circled red) that Peter  is referring to I believe. 

I have the same on my 3a. A great upgrade.

BE6301D1-194C-4C61-8888-9D59D2CE43BA.jpeg

Thanks to all!

I hope I do still qualify to communicate in the TR2/3 chapter :D ?

Considering that I knew that the engine has been a replacement engine and did not expect matching nos anyway, I can well appreciate the extra hp and torque.

It is just a great advantage to know whats under the bonnet when it comes to spare parts orderings :rolleyes:

Cheers

Oliver